Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My 6 year old is pre diabetic
joelle87 posted:
I recently took my six year old to the doctor because I noticed that he is always thirsty, always hungry even after just eating, he is tired and he gets a lot of headaches and throws up a lot. I asked the doctor if she could test him for diabetes and she did. His fasting blood glucose levels were high she didn't tell me how high. His insulin levels were normal. All she told me was to change his diet and make an appointment in 3 months. My son is normal weight he is 4ft tall and weighs 48lns. He doesn't like sweets such as juice and candy etc. I am just a little confused by what this all means and I am wondering if this is the normal way that doctors deal with this kind of thing. Also any information would be great

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/default.htm

Reading through this should help you understand Diabetes better. IMHO, the doctor should have shared the test results numbers with you. Being that your son is 6 years old, I would think the doctor should be testing for Type 1 Diabetes. You should pursue all this with the doctor and get more clear answers. Be persistent, and if this doctor can not or will not help you may need to find one that will. This is something that really should not be treated lightly and further testing and possible treatment should be done.

I pray you can find answers soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 responded:
Agree with Dave. Your doctor should have been more proactive in seeking answers. Six year olds do not normally have elevated blood sugar. Find out how high that level was. The average for a non-diabetic fasting level is 85.

Try to get some answers from this doctor. Just doesn't sound right when it concerns a six-year old child.

If you can't get answers, see if you can get him in to see an endocrinologist. This is a type of doctor who deals with glandular disorders.

joelle87 replied to davedsel2's response:
Thank you for the information. It's very annoying that no one is taking this serious. When I talked to another nurse she said that sometimes kids eat a lot of sugar. But insulin levels were normal so maybe that's way she is not concerned. I don't know why this has to be like pulling teeth to get some answers! It's just crazy to me

nutrijoy responded:
The symptoms you describe are definitely not normal. Both Dave and Auriga provided good advice but the symptoms that you describe could be due to many other factors including inflammation which can have many different causes. In any event, the situation does demand more attention in a child this young. If insulin levels are "normal," then you have to press for exact numbers and also request (demand) an A1c blood test for your child. That will determine what your next steps should be; not just dismissive comments from the nurse or physician.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-1-diabetes-in-children/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20029197
I agree with this advice, nutrijoy. Joelle, u suspect your son's symptoms are not normal and I'd concur. Read the following step-by-step diagnostic procedure for kids suspected with diabetes. If I were in your shoes, I'd perform my own fasting blood glucose tests and random blood sugar tests to back up what your physician has told you. You'd need a B.G. meter, some test strips and go watch a few youtube videos on how to test blood sugar. I'd run 4 or 5 of each test. That should establish some good data to make an informed assessment.

If the randoms read over 200 and the fastings run over a 100, you've got some good, hard evidence. Now, ask the doc to run more confirmation exams. If he, too, finds evidence your son is diabetic , then, ask the doc to run the antibodies test (Type 1 vs Type 2) and check for ketones in his pee.

I understand your frustration with the doc. Your son's just 6. Just realize, you have options and knowledge is power. If I were you, I'd go get some...

auriga1 responded:
Joelle, brunosbud has some great advice. WalMart sells ReliOn meters and test strips for relatively cheap. It is all over the counter. No need for a script from the doctor. This is the only test strip I know of that does not need a script. Also, if you know anyone who might have an extra meter with some test strips, it never hurts to ask.

Instruction manuals accompany both. You can also find the manuals online. It takes you through everything step by step. It's very easy to do.

I think it's a great idea to test first thing in the a.m. and randomly.

You can test in the a.m. after an all night fasting, 10-12 hours. This reading should be between 70-100. A random test should be around the same if he is not diabetic. As I said previously, a non-diabetic averages 85 at any given time.

Good luck to you and your son. It's great that you are on top of this.

joelle87 responded:
Thanks for all the great advice! I went and got a monitor yesterday and this morning when he did a reading before breakfast it was 120. I will do another one after he eats and see what it says.

davedsel2 replied to joelle87's response:
Good job on being proactive and getting an actual number. That number is considered pre-diabetic in adults. Also, "fasting" usually means 10-12 hours without food and only some water to drink. You can test again as you plan 2 hours after the completion of a meal. That number should be 140 or less.

It sounds to me like you still need to pursue this with your doctor.

Blessings,

-Dave

flutetooter replied to davedsel2's response:
My thoughts were that 140 after a meal is the upper suggested level for adults that are known diabetics. Most completely NON diabetics will be back under 100 (or thereabouts) most of the time.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 replied to flutetooter's response:
You are correct.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Exactly, Flute. Two hours after a meal, the BS should be in the normal range, usually in the 80's for a non-diabetic.

A fasting of 120 seems a little high for a six-year old.

auriga1 replied to joelle87's response:
Good for you, Joelle. Stay on top of this.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.