Skip to content
Type 2 diabetic
bandung posted:
I just started monitoring my blood glucose since my doctor changed my Metformin to glipiZide. I can't get any pattern at all on my readings. Readings before breakfast sometimes gives me a 153, 137,126. After meals. I get a 305 reading. Can't bring my level into the 80-120 range. Just now my reading before breakfast was 120, 2 hours after I get a reading of 220. I only had 2 pieces of toast & small pieces of lean meat. What am I doing wrong?

auriga1 responded:
What are you doing wrong? Well, eating toast. Two pieces. How many grams of carbs are in those two pieces of bread? It seems your body is reacting to ingestion of carbohydrates pretty severely.

I have the same problem with carbs. If I ate the two pieces of toast, my BS would be in the 400 to 500's two hours later. If said bread had plenty of fiber, your BS may have not risen so high. Your BS was probably higher at the one hour mark.

Now, if I ate the two slices of toast and was very physically active for about one hour to two hours after breakfast, my BS would have dropped significantly.

I was an uncontrolled diabetic at diagnosis. I had to keep a food journal (detailing what I ate and how many carbs in that meal) for many weeks along with my BS readings before I ate and two hours later. I realized that I cannot eat many carbs at any given meal without my BS rising dramatically.

Do you have access to a dietician? Maybe one can help you do some menu planning. Each diabetic is different in how many carbs they can eat at one meal. The standard pat answer is 60 grams per meal. For me, that was way too much. My dietician gave me 35-45 grams of carbs per meal with a small amount of protein (2-3 ounces.)

If you can't get your readings under control soon, maybe have a talk with your doctor. Show him/her your meter with these readings.

I have been on two insulins since diagnosis with many tweaks in dosages along the way. With the insulin, change in diet and additional physical activity, my BS numbers are well within range.

Keep a food journal for a bit with the amount of carbs in those meals and write down your BS numbers before and two hours after your meal. It helps to see things in black and white and also can help you make better food choices.

Weekends on this forum are notoriously slow. Not many people are on board. Wait a bit and see if others respond.

glucerna replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga has some great suggestions. In addition to keeping track of what you eat and drink at meals and snacks, carbohydrate intake, exercise and blood sugar levels it's also often helpful to note your sleep patterns. Lack of sleep can cause higher fasting blood glucose levels. Typicaly your doctor will start you on a low dose of glipizide and increase it if necessary, and keeping the diary is going to help both of you figure out how to best manage diabetes. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.