Skip to content
diabetes
abitscared posted:
was diagnosed with t2 diabetes 2 days ago. I am 42 years old.I honestly dont know what i should eat as a meal for breakfast or dinner. Dont know what i should have for snacks. I check my blood 3-5 times a day. Im required to do it twice a day.In reality Im just scared of this. Any suggestions?

nutrijoy responded:
Welcome to the forums. There's no need for fear or apprehension. There is an abundance of information available online from food planning, menus, recipes, and almost anything else that you may want. Here are two links to articles here on WebMD to get you started:
1. The Basics of a Healthy Diabetes Diet
2. Eating Healthy with Diabetes: Your Meal Plan

auriga1 responded:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Weekends tend to be slow with a few visiting this board.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Most of us count carbs in any given meal.

Did your doctor give you any information regarding diabetes? For example, how many carbs to eat? Ask if you can get a referral to a dietician if you were given no information. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs are fast acting in your system such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, some veggies like peas and carrots. These are called simple carbs and can raise your blood sugar dramatically. Fruits have natural sugar in them and tend to raise one's blood sugar.

The key is moderation in everything you eat. My dietician gave me limits on carbs and proteins per meal. 2-3 ounces of protein with 35-45 grams of carbs. Your proteins should be lean.

Read all you can regarding this disease. On the right-hand side here, you will see Dr. Dansinger's tips and resources. Take a look.

Find our from your doctor or a dietician how many carbs you should eat per meal. If you have weight to lose, this will help you lower your numbers. Physical activity/exercise goes a long way, too, in lowering your numbers. The combination of watching what you eat and exercising is essential in keeping diabetes under control.

Everyone is an individual and differences abound in what one person can eat and what one cannot.

Read all your nutrition labels on any packaged foods. Invest in a carb counter. When you look at the label on a package, the most important line will be TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES. Ignore the line that is "sugars." This line item is already included in your TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES.

Managing your diabetes requires a healthy life-style change for the rest of your life to keep complications from setting in.

glucerna replied to auriga1's response:
You've received some excellent suggestions already. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes educator or a diabetes education program. That way you'll learn more about diabetes and how to manage it, and that will help you feel more confident. You're making a good start by joining this forum as well, and will find many helpful people who are willing to share information and suggestions. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.