Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High Blood Sugar
wislucky posted:
My blood sugar is 349 is that bad

nutrijoy responded:
You didn't provide any background information but that level is dangerously high and demands medical attention. Doctors have been known to send patients to the ER (for treatment with an insulin drip). Contact your doctor (even though it is a weekend) and seek his advice ASAP.

wislucky replied to nutrijoy's response:
I'm a 44 y/o male had a a1c blood over a year ago it was 15 or 16 but the doctor never told me what that means.

auriga1 responded:
Yes. That number is way too high. A person diagnosed as a diabetic should have a fasting number between 70-110. Two hours after a meal, it should be under 140. Before bed it should be 70-110.

A non-diabetic will average 85.

nutrijoy replied to wislucky's response:
I am assuming that the "15 or 16" that you mention in your post is an A1c value. That's equivalent to well over 400 mg/dL which amounts to "Slow Motion Suicide" if you maintain such high levels for an extended period of time. Here's an abbreviated interpretation that I found online. My own sentiments are similar and actual statistics (i.e., long term) bear out the accuracy of the conclusions. Damage begins at 110 mg/dl and beta cell die-off accelerates above 140 mg/dl.

The worst thing about diabetes damage is that it lacks an "ouch, ouch, ouch" factor. I called it that once to a newly diagnosed diabetic who had her four year old granddaughter present. She overheard my explanations about diabetes damage to her gramma and said, "You mean it doesn't hurt? You don't feel an owie?" If a four year old can understand that, then any adult can also: diabetes wreaks havoc on virtually every cell in the body but it doesn't hurt while the damage is underway. When the damage becomes extensive enough, one of the first things that will be "felt" is neuropathy (i.e., nerve damage). By the time other organ damage becomes self-evident, it could be too late to heal the condition and the only option may be to maintain it (keep it from getting worse).

brunosbud replied to wislucky's response:
Anyone with an A1C of 15 or 16 has been in and out of ER a half a dozen times the last year...So, of the multiple doctors that's seen you, which one hasn't told you what "that" means? Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Today? Right now? What are you going to do about your high blood sugar, now? What's your question?

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
There is excellent information about diabetes on this website, along with a good explanation of A1c here: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c Read through the information, and ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes education program so you can learn as much as possible about diabetes and how you can best manage it. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.