Skip to content
Blood sugar levels
cograndma posted:
I am type 2 diabetic. In the morning my level is between 150 and 165 consistantly. It does not matter if I eat or not before bedtime, it is always high. I was told it should be under 120. In the evening after dinner it is always under 120. Why would my fasting level be higher than my evening level?

auriga1 responded:
Your fasting number is higher because of what is called the dawn phenomenon. During sleep or skipping meals will signal your liver to secrete glucose. Hormones during sleep or long periods without food cause this to happen.

You should talk to your doctor. Fasting should be between 70-110 and the same before bed. Maybe your doctor told you different. I don't know old you are, but the elderly are allowed higher numbers.

Do you take your blood glucose reading two hours after any given meal? Does that fall within range?

cograndma replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for the reply, I am 66 years old. My night time and 2 hours after eating are always in the acceptable levels. Just my morning levels are high.

auriga1 replied to cograndma's response:
Okay, thanks.

I take insulin, so I do not experience the dawn phenomen that others do. I hope you can find a solution.

Some people find that it is better to eat a small protein with a small carb right before bed. The two together will not raise you BS quite so much and may help with the rise you experience in the morning. You can experiment.

I wouldn't worry so much about your fasting BS in the morning. Your A1C should show if you are going in the right direction.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.