Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not yet diagnosed - need advice
lvngwell posted:
I am in the process of getting a new doctor and had my suspicions I was diabetic so I got a meter and started testing. My first reading was 445.

I stay between 275 and 350 all the time. I have been eating only meat and veggies for three days, had a bowl of whole grain cereal and it has spiked to 462 just now.

I am weak, panting, getting a migraine and dizzy. I don't have a new doctor yet and I am not diagnosed - I don't know what to do. I am drinking lots of water but wonder if there is anything else I can do???

nutrijoy responded:
Your blood sugars are at a very dangerous level and many doctors would want you to get Emergency Room treatment if they could not see you immediately. If you don't have insurance, that can be very expensive. One alternative might be an urgent care or doctors on duty type facility that might be able to provide appropriate treatment at a more affordable cost. It is urgent that you do see a doctor.

The primary dietary factor that raises blood glucose levels is carbohydrate but protein will also increase BG levels albeit at a much slower pace. The whole grain cereal that you ate was a very poor choice when BG levels are an issue because, whole grain or not, it has a very high carbohydrate content. Of the three macronutrients, fat is the only one that does not affect BG levels.

auriga1 responded:
You are in the danger zone right now. My doctor sent me to the ER when mine hit 435 two hours after a meal. No telling what it was at the one hour mark. I was admitted to get a slow IV insulin infusion.

I cannot tell you what to do because I am not a medical professional. I am speaking from experience only and if I had the BS reading you do, I would have someone take me to the ER. DO NOT attempt to drive if you make a decision. There is not much you can do but bring your BS down from the danger zone except insulin.

I sincerely hope you find your new doctor soon. With the readings you have, it is causing damage to your body.

No cereals, bread, rice, potatoes, noodles until you find your new doc. Start with lean proteins and veggies at this moment in time.

brunosbud responded:
How long were you chuggin along with high blood sugar before you tested yourself? I can list several things that can raise my blood sugar 50-100 pts without eating anything...Can you?

The glass is half full. First, you recognized your symptoms and guessed right: diabetes. Second, you had the good sense to buy a meter and strips through your own initiative and begin testing yourself. Third, you logged into a diabetes community and sought answers to your question. Now, all that's left is sharing what you know and answering a few questions from a doctor...any doctor. They won't judge. As a matter of fact, I think they'll be impressed. The average person just doesn't care enough (about their health) to do what you did. Pat yourself on the back and go in, asap.

PS: My nephew once tested for high Fasting BG. He also showed a high white blood cell count (sign of ongoing "inflammation"). He had a biopsy on a lymph node that tested benign. He now shows no signs of diabetes. This was a good example of how diabetes can be "opportunistic" when the body is preoccupied fighting another disease, elsewhere, in the body. This helps explain why Type 2 Diabetes is closely associated with obesity and dyslipidemia and other autoimmune conditions (arthritis, gout, IBS).

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Yep, Bruno. There are so many things to think about.

I also have psorias, another autoimmune disease. Skin cells reproducing rapidly causing plaques that are unsightly. Not to mention the itching. The itching is the worst because it is so intense. I don't know anything is there until I get a severe itch. That's where I get into trouble because I actually draw blood from scratching. Yikes!

lvngwell replied to brunosbud's response:
Thanks - feeling bad for having ignored it as long as I did - I have an apt for 9:30 tomorrow morning! I will let you all know how I did! Oh and I drank three bottles of water and got it down to 401. The worst symptoms stopped. I took a small walk and got it down to 236 by the end of the night! I am going to go get an A1C test meter today if I can find one too. I want to be prepared!

lvngwell replied to lvngwell's response:
Oh and I spent the last two years steadily losing 60 pounds through changing my diet and eating better, not exercising really but being more active (walking the dogs in the park, etc), so I am now 5 pounds into my ideal weight zone. I want to lose another 20 but they are the hardest! Really irks me that I do all this to get healthier then this happens!!!

lvngwell replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks auriga1! I took your advice and started eating only meat and veggies and it leveled off so it stays between 225 and 325 now - I am much happier with those numbers!

An_255018 replied to lvngwell's response:
While you are headed in the right direction and your numbers have come down, they are still very much in the danger zone. Please consider getting to a doctor asap.

lvngwell replied to An_255018's response:
Well saw the doctor today. With the food and blood sugar reading log I had been keeping she said she knew I had it . Crap. So I had blood tests done too. She put me on metformin - but we knew she would do that. I will see how I progress. Thanks for you help everyone you really helped me through this!

dinareddy1 replied to auriga1's response:
Great advice.

As of yet, I too am not OFFICIALLY diagnosed yet, as my O.B. gave me my blood test readings of High B.S., High Glucose and High Cholesterol all at once, and just yesterday.

With my unexplained size (40 pounds extra) in my stomach mostly along with butt, and MUCH MORE to attribute to diabetes such as over the top worry and stress, divorce. I'm a shoe in.

But how to eat until I see my M.D.? I was thinking protein such as yogurt (low fat only), lean fish and meat- ground turkey with beans for a chili with cut up veggies in it as well, fruit for breakfast-or a fruit yogurt smoothie (I use Greek Yogurt only), salmon, cod, and canned tuna water packed.

Pretty great diet for most anyone!

glucerna replied to dinareddy1's response:
Lvngwell I know you didn't want a diagnosis of diabetes, but to your credit you've already started eating healthier and taking care of yourself. Ask your physician for a referral to a diabetes educator so you can learn as much as possible about how to best manage diabetes going forward. ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 replied to dinareddy1's response:
Dina, I highly encourage you to look at all your nutrition labels when you purchase food. Most labels that say low-fat are just that, but generally, the manufacturer ups the carbohydrates to improve taste. Look at the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line in all your labels. That is the only line that is important. Many tend to look at the sugar in foods. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Diabetics cannot tolerate a high-carb intake.

Every food we eat has carbohydrates except for your proteins and fat. The lower your carb intake, the less chance that fat will be stored in your liver and body. There is a huge difference in carbs. You have your simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, those dang white foods. Then you have your high-complex carbs. Fruit has its own natural sugars and tend to be higher in carbs than veggies. Even with veggies there are those that are off limits to me, such as corn and peas. These two are really high in starches.

Added fiber to your diet is a big plus, like your beans for chili. Still, eat those in moderation because they also have carbs in them.

Keep an eye on your nutrition labels. Try and relax because stress will raise your BS.

Go online and see if you can get a good luck at the carbs in your favorite foods. Take it from there.

auriga1 replied to lvngwell's response:
Congrats to you for being proactive. It is a challenge to change our ways. We have all gone through it. Hopefully, your numbers will come down soon. Generally, metformin takes weeks to reach a therapeutic level in your bloodstream, so don't worry if you do not see a drastic change in your BS readings at this point in time.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.