Skip to content
blood sugar spikes after exercise
An_257288 posted:
I walk for an hour every morning. Since I've been taking my blood sugar, I've noticed that it spikes around 40 points after I exercise. The fasting BS is usually between 95-105. I eat a slice of whole grain toast before I walk and take two 500 MG Metformin. I thought exercise would bring down my blood sugar. Any suggestions for a better pre walk mini meal before I walk?

An_255018 responded:
Add some type of protein to the whole grain toast - lean meat, cheese or an egg. That may help as protein slows the absorption of the carbs.

glucerna replied to An_255018's response:
In some people, blood sugar goes up after exercise and then falls back down, and typically will be lower overall the rest of the day. Have you noticed that at all? Be sure that you drink water before and after the walk so that you're well-hydrated. ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 responded:
An_, most diabetics will see a rise in blood sugar after exercise except for those using insulin. Some of those taking sulfonylureas might experience a drop in BS when they exercise, too.

Excercise, any kind, is a stressor on the body. A good one, so don't stop what you are doing.

Did you take your BS right before you ate your toast? I only ask because I had to diary everything I ate and drank before each meal and two hours after.

Eating carbs alone will raise anyone's blood sugar. Try it with protein next time. Peanut butter, almond butter, hazelnut spread. See which one has the most protein and take it from there. Record your readings before you eat. It will give you a good idea where you stand. Glucerna is correct that overall your BS will drop throughout the day afer exercise.

Helpful Tips

tips to help me help a family member
does anyone have tips to bring down diabetes More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.