Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just diagnosed with diabeties, type 2.
irisii posted:
I have a strange story, and it started back in 02. I have MS, RA, I've had a massive heart attack at 48 yrs old. 3 mini strokes, 2 anurysym surgeries, Hyper Calcemia X2, I don't produce the enzyme that thins my blood (and that's not all of it) and NOW, I've been told I have type 2 diabeties. I mean....Enough already...right?? My problem is...I'm NOT over weight, I have been on a heart smart diet for 7 years faithfully, I have NEVER been a sweet eater....but, due to my current disability, I have NO way to exercise, Mainly because I can't handle the pain when I even move my legs. Soooo, to help combat the latest in my line of ailments....how can i get the exercise that I KNOW i need to get?

auriga1 responded:
I am so sorry to hear of your multiple ailments. Actually, more than ailments.

It seems your immune system has turned on you.

Number one, diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Take the "SWEET eater" out of your mind. Diabetes relates to carbohydrates. All of our foods have carbs in them except for proteins and fats. You need to be very careful with your carbohydrate intake. Very, very careful especially since you find it hard to exercise.

Please ask you doctor for a referral to a dietician. When purchasing food, look at all nutrition labels. The most important line is your TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line. Don't even bother with the "sugars" on the label, because that is included in the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line.

I wish I can help with the exercise bit. Maybe you can talk to a trainer who is actually trained in dealing with folks who have disabilities. You are not the only one.

I don't know if you can, but using weights will help your muscles utilize glucose in your bloodstream. Our bodies need glucose as fuel.

I was not everweight when I was diagnosed either. As a matter of fact, I was underweight when diagnosed. I was diagnosed as Type 2 because of my age. As a matter of fact, many think I may be a 1.5 diabetic because I need two insulins to control my diabetes and the fact that I was underweight when diagnosed. There is heart disease in my family also. Double whammy - diabetes and heart disease. I am thinking pretty soon I will just be eating grass. Saves on labor. I'll just go out and start grazing on the lawn.

This is a forum rather than a chat room. Weekends are notoriously slow with responses. Holiday weekend to boot. Check in once in awhile during the week to see other responses.

Have a good weekend.

irisii replied to auriga1's response:
Thank you for your reply. I totally understand about the carbs because that is also a huge part of my heart smart diet. BUT, this also runs in my family....I was just always hoping that this would be the ONE bullet that would miss me. Not my luck though. lol I'm like you. I guess it will soon get to where all I will be able to eat is grass. lol Not funny I know....but If I don't laugh....its over for me. lol

bigred53 replied to irisii's response:
Hi Iris. Wow you sure have a lot going on. You're right about laughing it's a great stress reducer.

I have a question about your pain. Haven't any of your doctors prescribed pain meds?

Now on to your exercise question. Do you have access to a swimming pool? The buoyancy would reduce the strain on your joints. Have your doctor refer you to physical therapy. They should be able to show you some excellent exercises you can do. You tube has seated exercise videos you can download for free. Get a couple of soup or vegetable cans and use them to exercise your arms. Are you able to lift your legs while you're sitting? There are also exercise bands you can buy - I believe from Amazon. What about a recumbent bike?

I really think pool exercise would work for you. Are you able to drive? Most YMCA/YWCA's have pools and I'm told it's not expensive to join.

Good luck to you. Keep coming back.

Michelle

auriga1 replied to irisii's response:
Hear you, Iris. Not funny, but you do have to laugh to keep your spirits up. My mom had diabetes AND heart disease. She had a massive heart attack that destroyed 80% of her heart muscle. Heart disease from her dad's side; diabetes from her mom's side.

My current physician wants to run a choleterol test. I am really wanting to bury my head in the sand because I don't want to know. That's not the thing to do, so I will be going soon.

I know, seriously, my mom was hardly eating anything because nothing was healthy enough for those two diseases. Skipped breakfast most of the time. Who wants vegetables for breakfast every day? Eggbeaters day and day out. Seven days a week, she was struggling to figure out what to eat so it wouldn't kill her. The boredom of hardly any food choices was making her crabby. That's why I said pretty soon all we will be eating is the lawn. Think any condiments would add to the flavor of grass??? LOL.

With family at home, everyone except for myself can eat anything they want. I hate them. LOL. No, I don't really.

O.K., enough of that rant. It's the weekend and time to have fun.

brunosbud responded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeMyjvFZNt0

The key is to change your thinking about "exercise". "Exercise" is a marketing term. I don't need exercise. I need blood flow. I need hormonal secretion. I need vascular function. I need mental stimuli. I need sunlight. I need muscle and bone development. I need to balance, to adjust, to coordinate. I need to eliminate water & waste. F%$@ "exercise". It's a marketing term.

I need to move my body because my health, my physiology is "driven" by movement. Without movement there is no destruction of old tissue and re-growth of new tissue. Without growth, there's no repair and, without repair, there can be no "recovery" (from disease or illness).

3 minutes every hour. Walking to the kitchen, counts. Taking a dump, counts. Tying your shoes, counts. It's all about movement, balance and coordination. Every movement counts. Just do something, anything, provided you avoid injury. You can't "exercise" because that's what you think.

So, change what you think...

irisii replied to bigred53's response:
Michelle, I get offered all types of pain meds on a regular basis. The problem I have with that is they totally stop working for me in a very short time. I really HATE having to take meds. They basically just cover the problem.....I really want it fixed. lol
To answer the question about me exercising.....NO, i can barely move my legs. It hurts to sit, lay down, or move in any direction. BUT, I do start PT this week, thank goodness!! I have everything that can be crossed on me crossed hoping that it will take all the pain away or at least get me to where I can move!
As for a pool...yes, I have a pool...but getting in and out and then having to dry off....WOW!!!

bigred53 replied to irisii's response:
Iris I hope the PT helps. Stronger muscles will help support your joints. Too bad about the pain meds though. I've had a hip replacement due to OA and I don't think I would have survived without pain meds before I had the surgery.

Here's hoping for a good outcome with the PT.

Michelle

nutrijoy responded:
This isn't new but perhaps bears reexamination for those who are skeptical of the use of nutritional supplements in preventing diabetes. Iris, I don't know if this will be of value because the study was performed on a group that was PREdiabetic and not already diagnosed as diabetic.

In the A.D.A.'s randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial, "we found that curcumin extract was able to substantially and significantly prevent T2DM development in the prediabetic population (0% of curcumin-treated subjects developed DM, whereas 16.4% of placebo-treated subjects developed DM)".Translation: Curcumin was 100% effective in preventing diabetes in a prediabetic population. These results suggest that the addition of a quality curcumin extract may be a useful tool for all of us since PubMed has research studies that show curcumin has value in many different diseases and ailments, not just prediabetes.

The complete ADA report on curcumin can be downloaded (PDF) by clicking on this link .You may want to also read this article on the cardiovascular health benefits of turmeric (from which curcumin is extracted). It does not replace exercise but can be a valuable complementary tool for those who are restricted or limited in physical exercise due to impairments.

Anon_320 replied to irisii's response:
If you google "chair exercises", you will find a lot of workouts that don't require the use of your legs.

Good luck with everything. My heart goes out to you.

Anon_475 replied to brunosbud's response:
brunosbud, when I see posts like your one here it makes me wish, really wish, that WebMD had a "Like" button

Thank you for putting that into perspective.

brunosbud replied to Anon_475's response:
Thanks. But, I think you've mistaken me for "nutrijoy". lol
...no one thanks me for my posts. Good luck and good health, just the same!

Anon_475 replied to brunosbud's response:
No, no mistake - it was the post about exercise being a marketing term

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.