Skip to content
High blood sugar
An_255764 posted:
My blood sugar sometimes reaches around 250 two houres after a meal but usually goes down to 140 or less at three or four hours after eating. It has never stayed high after four hours. How long can high blood sugar persist to cause damage? Your information will be appreciated. Thank you.

bigred53 responded:
Hello. How long have you been diabetic and what meds are you on? What was your last A1c? What is your fasting blood sugar?

Your blood sugar levels should be around 140 two hours after a meal. 250 is much too high. Imo you're eating too many carbohydrates per meal. I've read that anything over 100 causes damage to your body.

I think it would be a good idea to ask your doctor to refer you to diabetes classes and/or a dietitian. In the meantime cut out the white foods - bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. Focus on lean meats, non starchy vegetables, whole grains and fat free dairy. Whole fruits and not fruit juice.

Go back here and read some past posts. There is a lot of good information. Learn as much as you can about diabetes. The internet is your friend.

Michelle

nutrijoy responded:
Nerve Damage Occurs when Blood Sugars Rise Over 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) After Meals
Keeping Blood Sugars Below 140 mg/dl at All Times Improves Survival of Seriously Ill Patients
Beta Cell Destruction Begins at 2-hr OGTT Test Readings Over 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L)
Beta Cells Die Off in People Whose Fasting Blood Sugar is Over 110 mg/dl (6.1 mmol/L)
Prolonged Exposure to Blood Sugars Over 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) Kills Human Beta Cells
One Hour OGTT Result over 155 mg/dl(8.6 mmol/L) Correlates with Markers for Cardiovascular Disease
Diabetic Retinopathy Develops at "Prediabetic" Blood Sugar Levels
The steepest increase in retinopathy prevalence occurs among individuals with A1C equal to or greater than 5.5% and FPG equal to or greater than 5.8 mmol/l [104 mg/dl>
Multiple Studies Link Heart Failure to Blood Sugars in the so-called "Prediabetic" Range
I did not include additional links for significantly greater risks (and statistics) for cancer, kidney failure, non-traumatic amputations, stroke, and lots more (including accelerated aging). To directly and bluntly answer your question, "How long can high blood sugar persist to cause damage?" can be summarized in one sentence:

Damage begins at levels that remain above 110 mg/dl for more than a couple of hours and the A1c upper limit for minimizing or preventing complications is 5.5.

You can get lay translations and summaries of all of the above links at Jenny Ruhl's BloodSugar101 website at the link provided .

An_255764 responded:
thank you to all those who answered my question on High Blood Sugar

An_255764 replied to bigred53's response:
Thank you for answering my questions. I would like to say furthur about the questions you asked me. I was diagnosed twenty years ago and my latest A1c was 5.7. Actually it has been between 5.5 and 6.1 for the last 5 or 6 years. My fasting blood sugar is almost always around 100 but mostly in the eighties and nineties. Currently I am taking 2mg glimepiride per day. As for my diet I try not to exceed 30g starchy carbohydrates per meal. The 250 appears when I occasionally exceed 30g starchy carb. Even one extra slice of breed shoots up my blood sugar. This happens only a few times per month. Luckyly I seem to have no complication from my diabetes so far. Thank you.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.