Skip to content
Newbie to type 2 diabetes
cascarbro posted:
I was diagnosed by my doctor I was a type 2 diabetic, they made me do a glucose fasting test which I didn't really like and they told me my fasting numbers were 130 then I had to drink that sugar water and in a hour went up to 248 and then the last hour it went to 255. well now they got me on metformin 500 mg once daily and I have been on it for 2 weeks now and my blood sugar are good but I am staying more to the low side when I check my blood sugars at night they have been running in the 70's like 77 79 then I will eat a low carb snack just to be on the safe side because I am on other medication for mitral valve prolapse, I take Inderal 40mg x 3 daily and anxiety medication klonapin 0.5 mgx 3 a day so I really get tired and weak at times. One more question my sister was also told she is borderline what does that mean..

glucerna responded:
It sounds like you're making some good changes after the diagnosis of diabetes. Ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes to get more information on a healthy diet overall. There is good information on this website about diabetes as well. Borderline diabetes means that blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. This is a perfect time for your sister to evaluate her food choices, make sure she's getting regular daily exercise, and lose 5-7% of her body weight if she's overweight - these strategies have shown to reduce blood sugars back into the healthy range. Perhaps you and your sister can work together to exercise and change your eating habits? ~Lynn @Glucerna

nutrijoy responded:
Glucose tolerance tests aren't necessarily enjoyable but they do provide a valuable indicator in diagnosing whether a person is diabetic or not. The results that you posted indicate that you are qualified to be a member in our "club". It's not the best news but it's not the end of the world either. It does mean that you will need to make some lifestyle changes both to your diet and to your activity levels.

If you tackle this challenge with a positive attitude and appropriate adjustments in lifestyle, you will find that diabetes is a very controllable disease. Self-education is going to be an essential component of your journey combined with lots of trial-and-error to discover what works best for you. The most effective means of controlling diabetes is via self-management, working in concert with your doctor and health care team. Your doctor and other health care providers can only provide you with guidance, and if required, prescription meds. However, it is you who will have to cope with the disease 24/7. Thus, you are also the best one to discover what works (and doesn't work) for you personally. Keeping written logs or a diary will help you communicate more effectively with your doctor to keep him/her fully informed of your progress and/or lack thereof.

Lynn's comments regarding your sister's situation is right on target. However, "borderline" is really a somewhat arbitrary term because there is virtually no difference between a person who tests 125mg/dl (not yet diabetic) and one who tests 126mg/dl (confirmed diabetic). Welcome to the forums and post back often with any additional questions you may have.

auriga1 responded:
All I would like to add is that a non-diabetic averages 85 blood sugar readings consistently. (85 is an AVERAGE.) It could be a random blood check at any given time of day and their blood sugar will still average 85. The only exception would be a test right after eating a meal with carbs. The two-hour after-meal test usually will fall back into the 80's in a non-diabetic.

I had a random BS reading taken in my doctor's office which showed 123. Many hours after lunch and before dinner. He did not like that and said to cut down on portion sizes and carbs. This was years ago when I was in my late 30's.

iwannalivelife replied to auriga1's response:
123 and ur doc was upset? I would consider that ok right?

auriga1 replied to iwannalivelife's response:
When you are not diagnosed as a diabetic, 123 is above the norm. A non-diabetic averages 85 on a daily basis. At that point in time, I was not diagnosed as diabetic. That is why my doctor was worried. You do not normally see a reading of 123 in a person who does not have diabetes.

At diagnosis, the numbers my doctor gave me were a.m. fasting: 70-110, two hours after a meal below 140 and before bed 70-110. At this point in time, many doctors are saying the a.m. and p.m. numbers should be between 70 and 100.

Personally, 123 as a random test is too high a reading even though I am now diagnosed as diabetic.

There are many grey areas regarding numbers. Some doctors will give higher numbers as a goal. For example, I encounter many older folks (above 60) whose doctor says it is okay to be at 180 two hours after a meal. Again, personally, I do not want to ever see that number. This is me. I tend to be a little stricter on myself. My mother passed away from diabetic complications. I do not want to go down that road.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.