Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newby to Diabetes
donnamarieanderson posted:
Recently put on metformin, had a reaction, waiting for my daughter to come and get me to take me to the clinic.

Second day on it, reacted right away with dizziness, un-balanced and confused. My arm went tingly and numb, feels cold.

Never felt any of these symptoms in my whole life.

donnamarieanderson responded:
I am allergic to metformin!!! Staying on my walking/biking routine, watching my food intake...will have to tell my family doctor about this sudden reaction and see what options I have.

flutetooter replied to donnamarieanderson's response:
It's great that you were proactive and found this out! How did the clinic make this decision? Welcome to this site. Others will chime in too, with many suggestions.

To help us out, can you tell us a bit about your diabetes -- how long you have had it, your fasting numbers and A1c or glucose tolerance test, etc. Does "watching your food intake" include portion size and limiting starch of sugary carbs? Some of us with "pre" diabetes can stay in control with diet and exercise only, some count grams of carbs and some use the ADA carb portion method, most are on doctor prescribed medication plus diet and exercise, many are type 1 or insulin dependent type 2, so there is a wealth of personal information here.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

donnamarieanderson replied to flutetooter's response:
Thank you. My symptoms told the clinic I had a reaction, plus the fact I am anaemic and currently am on antibiotics for an internal infection pointed them in the direction of allergic reaction. I will know more when I see my family doctor. I have probably had diabetes for awhile, but I was diagnosed on Monday with type 2. I have not had any fasting test, just a random blood test...plus I have been experiencing an incredible amount of stress the day of my blood test and throughout the month of May. I have no monitor to test my glucose (not did I do a glucose tolerance test). Monday I started the metformin and I reacted that day/night and on Tuesday (the day I quit taking it). I felt so sick. I am watching my carb intake, plus my meal planning is mess but I just started four days ago with making sure I exercise. All I know is the day I took the blood test I was extremely stressed and my mol was at 9...I don't really even know what that means....this is all so overwhelming right now. Thanks so much for your reply.

flutetooter replied to donnamarieanderson's response:
Hi, again. It is the weekend, and slow with replies on this site. I am not familiar with the U.K. mmol scale but just looked up the conversion to ml/dl U.S. blood glucose numbers that I am familiar with. I'm sure many will hop in if this needs correction.

In the numbers we use here 9 mml corresponds to 162 ml/dl which is a higher blood glucose reading at any time of the day than non-diabetic would have, but not in any means a disaster. We are encouraged to go to the emergency room for insulin treatment if it goes above 300. I am pre-diabetic ( by my A1c test which measures the average blood sugar over a three month period, and also by my usual fasting numbers. I could easily go over a 162 reading within two hours after a meal if I had stuff like mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or excess fruits. I keep my after meal reading elbow 126 and my morning fasting number in the 90's. In the eighties would be better.

We are not allowed to give medical advise, as we are just fellow diabetics, pre diabetics, and just interested readers. For me, I would talk with my general practitioner about how many grams of total carbohydrates (all sugars and starches) a meal or a day would be suggested, and have the tests run again under controlled circumstances (like fasting or a three month average).

auriga1 replied to donnamarieanderson's response:
Understand about being overwhelmed. I was, too. Shocked actually. At diagnosis, I was underweight. My average dailly blood sugar was running 386; A1c 13.2. Absolutely awful...and to think I had no symptoms. I was hospitalized for something else when the medical staff noticed my a.m. fastings were 250 and above. So glad someone noticed. My medical team also stated that I probably had diabetes for years before being diagnosed.

Talk with your doctor. Ask for a referral to a dietician to help with meal planning. You should also ask your doctor and dietician how grams of carbs you should eat per meal. Many of us react to carbs ingested by showing higher readings on the blood glucose monitor. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism.

As Flute has said, your reading of 9 is not awful, but not where it should be.

Easier said than done - try not to stress. Take it one day at a time. Baby steps.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1, FYI : I think donna is from the UK or somewhere they use mols instead of A1c with ml/dl, so the "9" just means an average blood sugar of 12 instead of an A1c of 9 which would mean an average blood sugar of 240. I hope someone like nutrijoy chimes in with the answer.

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Yes, it sounds like it. Maybe she can find someone on her end to convert the numbers if she can't do it.

flutetooter replied to flutetooter's response:
Typo in flute tooter's reply to auriga 1's response-- "9" mmol I think equals 162 ml/dl on our blood sugar monitors as a random sugar, Not "12".

donnamarieanderson replied to flutetooter's response:
Thank you so much, I did some research and what I could find was that the old way to do readings (I am currently in Canada the Doctor is using the old UK readings) a 9 [a name="top">HBA1c % (old units) = 75 [a name="top">HBA1c mmol/mol (new units), which equals 11.8 [a name="top">Estimated average blood glucose (mmol/L.) Otherwise, if I read it backwards I would be between 53 and 56 which would put me on 9.0 [a name="top">estimated average blood glucose (mmol/L) I think.

donnamarieanderson replied to auriga1's response:
I will ask for answers to these important questions! Thank you for your input.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.