Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Suggestions
michellejeff posted:
I am type II diabetic, with NASH, constant edema and chronic pain.
I can not take anything for the diabetes because of the NASH.... as the liver is what dissolves all medicines for the diabetes.... So I am looking for any ideas out there to help aid my diabetic problems with strictly diet.
Michelle

nutrijoy responded:
It's extremely difficult to control diabetes or NASH via diet alone unless you're an early stage diabetic and your beta cells still secrete plenty of insulin. Even then, exercise and weight reduction (unless you're already thin) are essential components to prevent NASH and diabetes from progressing. Exercise is one of the most critical factors of any successful therapy but quick weight loss, crash diets, and medications can increase inflammation and scarring in the liver. You need to discuss your options with your doctor(s) but reducing cholesterol levels, achieving a healthy weight (if you need to shed excess pounds), bringing your diabetes under control (by whatever standards your doctors prescribe for you), and making daily EXERCISE a top priority remain the best tools. You make no mention of your diabetic level/condition and that is best explored with your doctor(s) including the potential use of insulin. Far too many people are afraid of insulin because of an unfounded needle phobia. In actual practice, needle injections are almost painless compared to needle-prick-finger-testing but the simple fact is, insulin works! That option, however, is something that you will have to explore with your physicians and is not something that can be determined in a forum discussion.

brunosbud responded:
No processed foods, eliminate all unnecessary drugs, supplements or "health aids", of any kind. Obviously, water, only. Plenty of rest and simplify life to essentials, only. Walk whenever possible, short walks of modest duration spread evenly throughout the day is probably best. Check for vitamin D deficiency. Log all meals including portion size, then, pick the three meals that yield the lowest 2 hr postprandial. If insulin resistance is extremely high, consult closely with your physician on insulin use. Good luck, michelle.

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
I agree with the previous two posters, and also want to encourage you to ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian. She will help you figure out an eating plan that fits your individual needs. Since you have chronic pain, a referral to an exercise physiologist can help you find an activity plan that works the best for you. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.