Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PGX - fiber
flutetooter posted:
Has anyone ever tried or used PGX (polyglycoplex) ? It is supposed to be a wonder fiber that has the overall effect of balancing blood sugar and insulin by "slowing the rate at which sugar and fat is absorbed into the bloodstream, reducing appetite and helping with weight loss". It was recommended in a book by Mark Hyman, MD, The Blood Sugar Solution.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy responded:
I wish that I could give you a detailed report based on personal experience since I do a lot of experimenting with foods and supplements. However, PGX was brought to my attention after I had already concluded that "magic supplements" just didn't work for me; especially after I had tried several of the miracle mixes touted as "reversal cures" (at approximately $50 a bottle). PGX is just another fiber and is purchased by folks primarily interested in weight reduction. The fiber properties of PGX do slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and thus can often prevent BG spikes after a meal; at least in those people whose beta cells still secrete plenty of insulin. I am insulin-dependent so supplements of this nature are of little value to me because after all is said and done, my BG levels are still going to rise ... it just takes a little longer (unless I bolus with injected insulin). You might want to take a look at the user reviews on the SparkPeople forum. It provides a more balanced picture of user experiences and if you do want to try it, the post by MATOKUWAPI discusses some of the economic considerations (i.e., price) should you decide to purchase some to try.

flutetooter replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thanks nutrijoy. Actually I was just interested in the fiber part of it, but am deciding that my seeds and nuts and veggies will do just fine, and I will keep my sugar numbers down by carb counting.

I am having many crossed reactions recently from doctor prescribed antacids for GERD and a CPAP machine that blows the air into my esophagus causing explosive diarrhea, etc. I am trying the best life style changes I can (gluten free, omega 3's, nuts, seeds, little or no citrus fruits or any juices, no coffee, small meals, prop upper body up on pillow at night,etc., etc.!!! I have hernia surgery with hysterectomy with other prolapse issues scheduled in 5 weeks, and can't imagine entering a hospital in this condition.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy replied to flutetooter's response:
I used to be plagued with GERD myself but have been free of that problem for nearly eight years now. How it came about was that I developed a severe tooth infection and was given an antibiotic (something that I dislike taking). To offset some of the harmful side effects, I took multi-species probiotics to counter the antibiotics impact on gut flora. After the antibiotic therapy was completed, I continued to take the probiotic for two weeks. Then I suddenly became aware that I had not experienced any problems with GERD at all and hadn't taken any of the anti-GERD meds that I had on hand ... Prilosec, Prevacid and Pepsid (I would rotate between them never took the same one for more than 7 consecutive days).

To this day, I don't know if the antibiotics "cured" my GERD or whether it was the probiotics. I still take a probiotic once a week but no longer on the twice a day schedule that I did during (and immediately after) the antibiotic therapy. The probiotic brand that I currently take is called "Probiotic 10" (contains ten species) and I purchase mine from Costco (usually during their periodic coupon events). I suspect (but have no proof) that the Lactobacillus salivarius organism is the one that provided the anti-GERD benefit. You can read general information at the link above or go to the Probiotic.org site for more specific information. L. salivarius is also available in pure form (i.e., by itself) and I purchased a couple of bottles last week at the vendor's periodic 50% off sale that ended May 31st.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
Nutrijoy, Don't you think GERD is a normal result or aging, particularly, muscle loss? I do. I got my 91yo mom doing some light core work and light walking for the last couple years due to "frozen shoulder". She was popping tums like m&m's prior to that. Now, Voila!

nutrijoy replied to brunosbud's response:
I don't really believe that there is such a thing as "normal" aging but it probably depends on a host of variable factors with exercise and calorie restriction having the most significant influence. In my particular case, I was already reasonably active so exercise was not an issue. At the time that I went in for a colonoscopy and esophogeal diagnostic exam, the gastroenterologist discovered that I had Barrett's Esophagus (that's the formation of squamous cells in the lower part of the esophagus in reaction to acid damage to the lining). In other words, my GERD condition had persisted for quite some time. After my antibiotic/probiotic therapies, my GERD virtually vanished in a matter of weeks. I still have occasional bouts with acid reflux but they are rare (averages once every 3 months or so) and I simply drink water to counteract the temporary effects. I have a physician friend who was extremely interested in my antibiotic/probiotic experience but he is doubtful that any drug company would fund a study since there's too much profit in simply selling anti-GERD drugs that fail to heal the condition but merely tamper the symptoms. But then that's really at the heart of our entire sick care system: don't fix (i.e., cure) the problem, simply maintain it by masking or reducing symptoms.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
You got that right, nj. Antacid and laxative makers don't have to worry about underfunded pension programs. lol

Tums still rolling after 80 years http://www.stltoday.com/business/tums-still-rolling-after-years/article_a2180d60-5ff8-5b87-95d6-13f37a7f044c.html

"...This month marks the 80th anniversary of Tums' production at the five-story plant that nearly stretches a city block across from Busch Stadium..."

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.