Skip to content
Please help me understand, so freaked out what is Microalbumin??
joomlarocks posted:
I have applied for life insurance. I'm 35, I went for blood and urine work and have been declined due to my Microalbumin level which Im being told is signs of early diabetes .... I am so freaked out because I am reading from the test and it keeps saying kidney disease, I'm only 35 and have no signs of any problems... I did NOT fast before this test in fact I believe I had a bowl of frosted flakes in the AM before the test, the lab did not tell me I needed to fast. Please someone tell me this isn't something that is anything to be worried about. My result is 14.9 says expected result is 0-3

brunosbud responded:
Slow down. You have options. We all have options. Work the problem and pick the best one afforded you. A1C of 14.9 is high but I've heard higher and being only 35 works in your favor. All you have to do is learn how to take care of yourself. PS: The Frosted Flakes do you no favors; start with that...

flutetooter responded:
To joom- You didn't exactly say what condition the result of 14.9 was for --an A1c ? which is a test from which you can tell the average over the past 3 months of your glucose level , or some other condition? You had mentioned your microalbumin level. What does "expected result is 0-3" mean? Who is telling you that number is "early diabetes"? A number that high would be very serious diabetes, so maybe that number is for something else.

If you received a written or printed order for the tests, each separate test should have been marked with a dot or small circle or some mark next to the name of the test, which indicated if fast is necessary. Unfortunately you probably had to turn in that order when you got the tests, so there is no way to check now. Look at the result sheet now and tell us what words or condition is exactly across from those numbers. If they did not give you the results, you can to sign a release sheet to get a copy of all medical papers for your personal use. I do that with every lab I take, so that I can better understand. I would be freaked out also when I get news of something I dan't know about. Please get back to us with more information.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy replied to flutetooter's response:
I'll second that! The numbers given don't really correspond to the reference ranges that normally apply to an albumin/creatinine test alone and if 14.9 applies to A1c, that is dangerously high. Taking a step back as well as a breather are always wise steps as Bronosbud suggested. Joomla, more details/info will help us provide you with better suggestions.

auriga1 responded:
I don't know what the 14.9 corresponds to especially when you follow it with the expected result of 0-3.

You need to call your doctor and ask.

Anon_320 responded:
I don't believe the poster is saying that his/her A1C was 14.9. If I'm reading correctly, the microalbumin was 14.9.

Please don't get freaked out. Your doctor needs to do more urine tests to see if the results are similar. It's possible that it was just a bad sample or a mistake at the lab. (I had a test result once that showed severe kidney failure, but it was an inaccurate result and there was nothing at all wrong with my kidneys.)

If your microalbumin is really that high, it could be from something as simple as a urinary tract infection. It could mean you have diabetes, but that is only one possibility.

Your doctor needs to follow up on this and figure out if the test results were accurate and, if so, what the cause is. If your doctor doesn't follow up thoroughly, including more testing for microalbumin levels, please see another doctor.

brunosbud replied to Anon_320's response:
(http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/microalbumin-urine-test)
"...Microalbuminuria is most often caused by kidney damage from diabetes . But many other conditions can lead to kidney damage, such as high blood pressure , heart failure , cirrhosis , or systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) . If early kidney damage is not treated, larger amounts of albumin and protein may leak into the urine. This condition is called macroalbuminuria or proteinuria . When the kidneys spill protein, it can mean serious kidney damage is present. This can lead to chronic kidney disease ..."

This poster is freakin' because he/she believes they have Kidney Disease. The two most common causes of kidney failure in the us are diabetes and high blood pressure.
The top ten reasons why insurance companies decline a life insurance application?
1. Insane cholesterol
2. Insane A1C
3. Hepatitis
4. Alcoholism
5. Blood or protein (microalbumin) in your urine
6. Insane DMV Report
7. Elevated Liver Function
8. Applying for $10 mil in Life Insurance...on your spouse or a family member. lol
9. Morbid Obesity
10.Undisclosed prior declines in L.I. applications

All of the above reasons can be remedied or at least "controlled" by the applicant to some extent. If an applicant presents evidence at the time of application that the issue(s) are being addressed, he/she presents evidence to suggest that corrective actions are being taken and full disclosure is offered, there's a good chance that insurance can be provided once the applicant provides proof that progress is being made. In other words, insurance companies run a business. And, like any other business, they prefer to deal with responsible & proactive people. That's what I mean by "work the problem"...nothing is impossible provided you act responsibly and you believe in yourself.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.