Skip to content
Dehydration Liquid
flutetooter posted:
What is a good dehydration liquid for diabetics - one that doesn't contain too many sugars/carbohydrates? --Either homemade or a product from the drugstore.

I am now using water, organic low sodium chicken broth, and the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, dry low carb Toast - 5 gm per slice with some when protein powder mixed in to balance the sugars). I quit all coffee and teas, even decaffeinated and herbal. Right now I'm cutting out nuts, a staple for me. I was eating very small snacks of regular foods during the day but this diarrhea is still going on several times a day and makes normal activities very limited. I have no fever or pain and this is likely caused by a dose of doxycycline (for a tick bite), plus doctor prescribed meds for GERD and cough, but enough is enough! I have surgery for other issues scheduled in 5 weeks and really need to get this under control.

I have been in contact with my doctor who told me to get probiotics, which I had already started taking yesterday, and make an appointment for next week, which I did. Also some digestive enzymes.

I am NOT asking for an "illegal" diagnosis, just help with good suggestions for electrolytic liquids. I am now checking Dr. Bernstein's and Jenny Ruhl's books.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

debs_bears responded:
Hi Flute I am sorry to hear you are going through so much at one time. Plus you are having surgery in 5 weeks. I will be praying for you continuously.

There is a drink called ElectroMix - lemon lime that we use because of our ostomies which rehydrates us when we have the runs. A friend of mine who is a physical therapist recommends this to all her clients.

It balance the electrolyes and has 0 carbs. Amazon sells it pretty reasonable.
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Thanks debs, I will look for that. I also found information in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution which I will post in detail later. No Gatorade or Sports drinks because of the sugar. Seltzer water, diluted tea and no glucose broth O.K.with added electrolytes. I'll post the recipe later. Nap time now!
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.