Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do the numbers mean?
dianecc1 posted:
I've looked it up but because I suspect I have something going on with my blood sugar I was hoping to get some input.

I bought a glucose kit. I'm just getting started but here is what I have.

Fasting glucose was 112. Ate 89 grams of carbs.

15 min after eating the 89 grams - 111 30 minutes after - 128 45 min after - 113 1 hour after - 104. 90 minutes - 103.

I tested at 1/2 hour because I noticed there was some fat content in my bean and cheese burrito. I tested at 45 min because I was feeling nauseous, sleepy, and a bit dizzy. The nausea increased between 45 min and one hour after these carbs. At 90 minutes the nausea is really bad. It makes no sense to me. There is no big variation, yet I have all the symptoms of hypoglycemia.

If I eat sugar I get really bad headaches about 8-12 hours afterwards, and they stay around for a full day. I get shakey, irritable, and sweaty (if too much sugar too fast). When speaking of sugar this includes things that convert fast such as breads and fruits. I have had my vision dull (like shade being drawn), have a sick sweet smell to skin sometimes, huge cognitive decline (waxes and wanes but notable on average). Constant bacterial infections, and overwhelming sleepiness that hits me during the day. The tiredness is hard to describe but if I were to allow my eyes to close during those times I would be asleep and difficult to wake. There is more but this is all in the last few days.

I just started to keep a journal on how I feel, what I eat, and what my blood levels are but so far it doesn't look alarming to me. Maybe what seems to be an allergy to carbs is something else entirely. Maybe there is something else that looks like hypoglycemia and I haven't discovered it.

Any thoughts would help me a lot. I feel incredibly nauseous and tired and I shouldn't feel like that when I eat carbohydrates. Thank you.

flutetooter responded:
That is exactly how a person may feel if their body does not process carbohydrates well. The disease is called diabetes. I consume only 100 grams of all carbohydrates a day, including sugars, sweets, bread, cereals, fruits, dairy products, and fresh greens and veggies. In fact everything that is not strictly a meat or 100% fat, contains carbohydrates. So, when you are counting the grams of carbs your ate, be sure to read the labels on all commercially produced foods, and look up the fresh things in a food count book. You may have actually eaten more than 89 grams, which for me is way too much for my body to handle.

I, too, would get dizzy and nauseated and sleepy. When I eat no more that 15-20 grams of carbs per meal (10 for a snack) I am alert, not hungry, and am on no meds for diabetes.

Your fasting glucose is already in the pre diabetic range. Your body is handling the excess grams of carbs by causing your pancreas to chug out mammoth amounts of insulin to handle the digestion of the carbs. Eventually your liver will not be able to handle them, and you will go on increasingly bigger amounts of meds, and then on insulin injections. Some people choose to eat whatever they want and just opt for more meds, but my friends to do this have gotten sicker.

You are very wise to have begun investigation this early!. I applaud you for your efforts. Look up as much info as you can, starting with Dr. Dansinger at the top right of this page. A very good book is Blood Sugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl. She also has a great web site by the same name. Keep us posted as to your progress and information gathering. I'm sure many more people here will chime in with advice.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

glucerna replied to flutetooter's response:
Keeping track of what you eat and your blood sugar levels is a really good idea. Take this information to your physician, let her know how you're feeling, and work with her to figure out your best plan going forward. ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 responded:
Just FYI, a blood sugar reading below 70 is considered hypoglycemic. I experience it often because of insulin usage and physical activity.

I realize that everyone is different in regards to symptoms of hypoglycemia, but the most common are sweating, flushed face, rapid heartbeat, the shakes, dizziness and a feeling of being very hot.

Your readings are pretty level; there are no huge ups and downs. None of those numbers would be considered hypoclycemic. I was extremely fatigued when my numbers were high - in the 400's. Would take a four-hour nap.

This is only my opinion, but I would contact your doctor if this persists.

flutetooter responded:
When a person first starts not a being able to process sugars exactly correctly, one of the first symptoms is feeling "hypoglycemic" - Note that I said "feeling" , not necessarily real hypo below 70. My doctor called it "reactive hypoglycemia" meaning that my body reacted that way after eating a meal with too much sugar for my system and then dropping rapidly because of a large influx of insulin. Are you a large person or very active physically so that you would normally eat 89 grams of sugar at one meal?

My numbers also dropped down quickly as your did. In fact on a glucose tolerance test I measure only 90 after two hours, indicating that I was not a diabetic. HOWEVER, now I know that those feelings and responses can often mean that you are on you way to becoming a diabetic. You have an excellent opportunity to avoid that disease by becoming informed and cutting way back on white foods such as bread, rice potatoes, as well as desserts and candies and excess fruits.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.