Skip to content
Kick start
winterglow posted:
I've known for nearly 2 years that I am a diabetic and I have spent most of that time in denial. As you all know, when you don't have any symptoms to speak of it's difficult to believe you're a diabetic and to do what you need.

I realize that I need to change my diet and I'm doing that now - thank you, WeightWatchers for making nearly all veg "free" in your program so it's easy to turn away from pasta, rice, etc. especially at this time of year. I hope that I'll be so used to it by the end of the year that I won't look back. My question is - how do I get motivated for exercise. I typically find all the excuses in the book (so I'm probably still in denial, right?)?

I need a kick start and don't know where to start. It's motivation I need. Can anyone help? How did YOU get there? I'm at 325 lbs (I've dropped 50 lbs since the start of the year) and need to get started gently.

brunosbud responded:
Here's something I've learned from experience.
Exercise is a habit. (see Seinfield episode: "The Contest") If you do something, everyday, out of "habit" at some point in time it becomes immensely pleasurable...
Second, depending on your age, you have to set aside enough time for not only the "exercise", itself, but the "recovery time", afterwards.

For example, when I was 18, my combined exercise & recovery time was approximately 45 mins. Now, that I'm older:3 hrs and 30 mins.

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
Good for you winterglow for taking charge of your health! What motivated you to make changes in your eating habits? Might that same motivation help you get started with exercise? Make a list of all of the reasons why you aren't exercising. Next to each item, write 2-3 reasons why overcoming this barrier is going to benefit you. For example, often people don't exercise because they don't have time. You might counter that with even 5 minutes of exercise is better than no exercise, and as brunosbud says developing a habit of exercise goes a long way toward reaching your goals. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Anon_320 responded:
It can help if you divide your big goal into several smaller ones. For instance, tell yourself that you'll walk just ten minutes a day for a week, and then increase it to 15 minutes. And, rather than thinking about the amount of weight you need to lose to reach your goal, think about setting a goal for losing twenty pounds by a certain date.

I know motivation is very difficult; I struggle with it myself. I think that sometimes it's because we try to change too much all at once and it just seems overwhelming. This is one of my favorite sayings: "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

Good luck.

winterglow responded:
Great advice from all of you! Thank you SO much!

goldenret responded:
Weight Watchers is a great way to start. I bought a Fitbit and I have two dogs which keep me going out throughout the day walking. I also use that time for prayer which also keeps me going. Setting the Fitbit for small goals to begin with and then increasing really helps

tshiffle responded:
Don't forget your music. I find my iPod and some music makes the time go by so much faster and you don't get bored.

glucerna replied to tshiffle's response:
Music can be really motivating. I know several people who listen to books on tape while exercising. If you're outside walking, it makes sense to keep the sound low enough that you can hear traffic and people around you. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.