Skip to content
Am I going crazy or just pre-diabetic?
pauper72 posted:
I'm working with my Endocrinologist, but want input from others and HOPEFULLY, a statement that says "you're not the only one".

Short version ...
I am 42. I am married less than one year, but getting a divorce. The problem is that he does not know who to serve the papers to; Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde.

I have been checking my sugar for over 5 years now, at the encouragement of my now-hubby-soon-to-be-ex because of things he would notice about my behavior.

I have worn a CGM for a week and the results were pre-diabetic and my doctor and I decided to work with diet. Well, its getting worse and I will be getting my own CGM on Tuesday in hopes of catching my fluctuations faster and fixing them.

The problem is that I am never (or very rarely ever) in the "normal" range. Chicken or the egg, but I drop then spike, then drop, then spike. Its an exhausting roller coaster ride that my friends and family want off of. I feel like I am manic and have been accused of being Bipolar, but each and every time I can prove sugar issues. However, I cannot blame them because I want off, too!

Typically, I could tell if I was outside of my "feel good" range of 78 to 86. With levels at a mere 130, I become Mr. Hyde and DO NOT remember anything that happens for even a couple of days when things will slowly come back to me. I feel like I black out, but hubby says I acted completely coherent and cognizant. Now, its getting to the point where I cannot tell that I am even below 50, which scares me and the thought of living alone because he usually catches my lows and makes me drink milk.

So, major sugar fluctuations, extremely easy and LARGE bruising, and failure to drop my "winter weight" has me stressing out. I have a lot of tests that she ordered, but I was hoping to see if I was alone in this or if others can offer some insight.

Anyone???

Okay, sorry. That was not so short. I am 42, 5'2", and weigh 123 as of yesterday at the doctors.

brunosbud responded:
Remember: Courage and never giving up win you style points and nobody is alone (for long) when they have style. Also, do you have any idea how many women your age wish they could have your "winter weight" than theirs? Good luck and hang in!

auriga1 responded:
Can't say that I have the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome even when my sugars have been at 500. I also have been as low as 26. When my BS was extremely high, I was falling asleep for hours. The lows scare me to death because I get the rapid heartbeat, shaking and sweating. I do not now I am low until I stop what I am doing. I have a job where I am physically active for 3 - 4 hours straight. The lows at times can make me feel a little disoriented telling me something is not right and I immediately test.

Your description of your BS levels at 130 and how you react is not normal for someone diagnosed with diabetes. Sorry, but I haven't talked with anyone describing these symptoms. This does not occur with me.

The title of your post includes the word pre-diabetic. Is that what your doctor diagnosed? Did you get an A1c test done? A1c = average blood glucose readings for three months. This can be very telling.

Try and destress and see what your test results yield.

Anon_320 responded:
I'm not as expert on the subject of diabetes as many of the other people here, but your symptoms do not sound like they come from diabetes or pre-diabetes. I think you need to pursue other possibilities rather than staying focused on this one as an explanation.

That's not to say that you shouldn't do everything you can to control your blood glucose, but I would be surprised if that is the source of the symptoms you describe.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.