Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eyesight
Rutgersguy posted:
I was recently diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. I have a family history of the diseas on my mother's side of the family and I did not help matters by carrying extra weight. I would like to know how much a regular cardio regimen helps to control glucose levels? Also, is there an ideal amount of cardio that seems to work for you, or if it varies tremendously from person to person

auriga1 responded:
Rutger, so many questions, so many answers. Just kidding. Welcome and I am trying to make you feel at home here.

Any physical activity will help control glucose levels. As you said you are "recently" diagnosed. It can be an experiment each and every day when it comes to controlling your diabetes. Just have to tell you, when I first diagnosed, my dietician actually gave me a DVD for easy physical activity. Walking in place, a little stepping, etc. Along with that, she gave me a boatload of material to read regarding carbohydrates - the good and the bad.

Glucose is used as fuel by the muscles in our body. The more your muscles are "stressed" the more glucose your body will actually use as fuel. Do your cardio. Mix in some weights on different days. Many people do a lot of walking. You will have to see what works for you.

Our resident expert, Dr. Dansinger, recommends 7 1/2 hours of exercise per week for glucose control. Speaking from experience, this is completely true. I work five days a week in a kitchen and dining room walking, bending, lifting, etc. This physical activity even though it is not formal exericse, has given me the best control ever. I take two insulins, one a basal and one a rapid-acting. My job keeps my blood sugar within range (going low sometimes) that I do not even need my meal-time insulin at lunch.

So, with the 7 1/2 hours of exercise recommended by the expert, take it from there. Mix things up to keep from getting bored and to use most of your skeletal muscles. Walking, running, swimming, biking, lifting, whatever. Just keep moving.

Have you been able to see a dietician? Has your doctor told you about controlling the carbohydrates you eat? Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Each and every one of is different in how many carbs we can consumer per meal/per day. Most of our foods contain carbs except for proteins and fats. Nutrition labels are your best friend. Always look at the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line. Use portion control.

It would be wise to talk with a dietician to help you lose weight (if you still need to) and control your blood sugar with proper meal planning.

This is the weekend, and you may not see too many responses. It is a forum rather than a message board. Keep coming back to check things out.

Good luck to you.

glucerna replied to auriga1's response:
It can be really helpful to test your blood sugar levels before and after exercise so you know exactly how different types of exercise, and different intensities of exercise, affect you. Many people will notice that their blood sugar levels overall are lower on days they exercise, and testing will allow you to figure out what works the best for you. It's a good idea to talk with your doctor about exercise and get her recommendations for the type and amount of exercise to start with, and also what to aim for long-term. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.