Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is my pain from a herniated disc or neuropathy due to diabetes?
garybartel posted:
How can I tell if its pain from herniating a disc in my lower back or if its neuropathy due to diabetes?

brunosbud responded:
You can't. Therefore, act as if...Rehabilitate both conditions, concurrently. To do this safely, it would be best to have a physician (and physical therapist) oversee the process.

auriga1 responded:
Well, one you can see via diagnostic testing and the other you cannot.

I am not quite sure how they do it these days regarding finding out if your disc is herniated. Way back when, they used to do myelography. This is the insertion of dye into the subarachnoid space in the spine. I had this done and could see in black and white that I had two herniated discs pressing on my sciatic nerve. This caused pain in my back, through my hip and all the way down one leg to the toes. I had to get it fixed because basically I was useless. Could hardly walk.

Usually a herniatd disc will press on the sciatic nerve, one of the longest nerves in the body. It was a terrible burning sensation for me and I had to move, sit, sleep and stand differently. Because of the erratic changes in movement, my muscles started to cramp up in my back. My case was quite severe with my orthopod wanting to do surgery to remove the discs and fuse the vertebrae.

You really need to talk with your doctor. Maybe an MRI is in order to visualize what the problem may be.

I am not a doctor; only speaking from experience.

garybartel replied to brunosbud's response:
I have had feet Neuropathy for 15 years and all the Doctors just shrug their heads with no answers. I don't have diabetes and never had. I'm taking all types of vitamin and pain killers, but not an answer. If anything I want an explanation.

garybartel replied to auriga1's response:
I have had 5 back surgeries between S1 and L2. L2 and L3 are fused and L4 and L% are fused together. I am going in today for another set of MRIs and X-Rays. I think something is going on between S1 and L5 that the doctors have missed.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.