Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Away for Now
flutetooter posted:
I will be off the site for quite a while and will miss the regulars. Diabetes is SO hard to conquer as a nation because of misinformation from companies which sell high glucose products, and because of the ever-changing "pyramids" on the amount of carbs, proteins, and fats recommended. Also because of doctors who find it easier just to medicate, and patients in denial or wanting an easy cure.

My personal way of dealing with high blood sugar is simply to eat only the amount of carbs (counted mentally by exact grams, not portions) in each meal and snack that the remaining beta cell producing insulin in my body can handle. For me that is 80-100 grams of all carbs a day divided into 3 smaller meal and several very small snacks. More is needed with heavy exercise.

This ways of eating is not acceptable for most newcomers on this site and I am not a psychologist who can give support on personal issues or denial problems. I feel that diabetes is so complicated and so individualized that a person needs to be his own advocate and be willing to research good health and information for his own situation. This requires a lot of commitment and understanding.

I am also going to be very busy recovering from multiple concurrent surgeries for a hernia, prolapse issues and a hysterectomy this coming week. It will require much attention to diet, as I can only walk for exercise for quite a while, and I am used to burning up the sugars with movement! SO, see you much later.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

nutrijoy responded:
Warm wishes for a speedy recovery. Your input will be missed. I don't frequent the forums very often myself due to commitments helping others (person-to-person real-time basis). More often than not, the assistance rendered involves technology issues; not health. Although both can be equally challenging, health issues, of course, are far more important. Good luck and hope to see you back whenever you find it suitable to your situation.

debs_bears responded:
Flute I will be keeping you in my prayers I do know first hand about all your surgeries you have coming up it will be challenging to keep up with your diet but I know you can do it.

I also can only walk and eat as little as carbs as possible to maintain my sugars. It isn't easy but we do what we can.

You will be missed - post if you can as to how you are doing following the surgeries. Debbie
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

auriga1 responded:
Dang, Flute. You have a lot going on. I wish you the best and a very speedy recovery. You are dedicated and will most likely reach each and every one of your goals.

I do concur with your "thesis" regarding people and diabetes. I see it everyday at work and hardly believe that most of the seniors I deal with just don't care. I think they like being in the hospital because they get taken care of. It is not all of them, but most. There are some who will actually ask me questions, because I have made it known that I am diabetic taking insulin. They will actually look at their plate and decide to cut down on eating the carbs that are there. I have told many of them that they make me proud. LOL. It does not matter your age. Always take care of yourself and strive for a better you.

Much luck to you, Flute and come back soon. I do know you will take care of yourself.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.