Skip to content
Rash On Both Legs - Type 1 Diabetes
jeffncoke posted:
My wife has type 1 diabetes and a couple of years ago, got these rashes (one on each leg) a little above the ankle. They started off about 2-3 inches around but have grown slightly and also seem to be more red than they originally were.

When you look closer, the skin in and around the redness also looks like when you get a sunburn and your skin is about to start peeling.

More than 1 dermatologist has prescribed steroid creams but they haven't appeared to help. It has slowly grown over time.

Any recommendations as to what to do, or help as to exactly what it is would be appreciated. Sorry I don't have a photo but I will try to get one today and reply to this thread with it.

Also, is there a way through this site to speak with a doctor at all ? Like a premium membership or anything ?

Thanks !

nutrijoy responded:
Forum rules do not allow physicians to provide direct advice but skin issues are a common "complication" of elevated blood sugars. Normalizing blood sugars will often help diminish symptoms of most complications. The use of steroids, even topical ones, can often increase blood sugar levels making it a problem for diabetics to use. The few times that I have had to address skin issues (after diabetes diagnosis) myself was the use of coconut oil and aloe vera (both taken both internally as well as applied topically). My skin condition(s) were likely different from your wife's so do not misinterpret this to constitute advice per se.

mrscora01 responded:
Nutrijoy has given some good advice. Yup, good glycemic control is key for so many things. That said, as T1 is an autoimmune disorder, you might be better off seeing an endocrinologist than a derm. I had a friend who had someone weird and ugly on her leg. Despite good control, it grew and looked worse. They ended up treating it topically with insulin and that seemed to help somewhat. We lost touch, so I don't know the final result. But in your wife's case, it could be some sort of other disease which is then confused with the D. I hope you are seeing a good endo and they can help.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.