Skip to content
Confussion and forgetfulness
nanawwjd posted:
I am a new insulin dependent diabetic. I have had diabetics for 27 years. Trying to get my sugar below 200 and fasting 110. It has not happened yet. I was somewhat forgetful to start with, but now it seems a lot worse. Has anyone gone through this? Is it all in my head. I don't want to make excesses , but this is making me feel nuts.

auriga1 responded:
No, have not been forgetful...more than usual. Yes, I can go to the fridge, open the door and wonder why I went there in the first place. It happened before the insulin usage. I do not know if there is a correlation between forgetfulness and blood sugar numbers whether it be high or low.

You need to call your doctor. Starting insulin takes time and patience. I really hate to make assumptions, but it sounds as if you may be taking a basal insulin. If that is the case, finding the correct dosage takes time and diligence. Most of all, it takes discipline.

If you cannot get your sugar below 200, you need to call your doctor and report this. He/she can adjust your dosage and/or tell you to up your insulin by 2 units at a time until you reach the desired blood glucose reading. I am not a medical professional and only speak from experience. This happened to me where I could not get my sugars below 250 until my doctor adjusted the dosage of my basal insulin. I also had to record my BS readings daily. I was taking my BS eight times a day so my doctor could see what was going on throughout the day.

I don't want you to feel stressed, but it is more important to get your BS down. When your blood sugar is within normal range you will feel better physically and perhaps mentally.

Insulin works when you are at the correct dosage. My dosages are adjusted constantly. When you are very physically active, the dosage may change once again.

I take two insulins, basal and rapid-acting (with meals.) My Lantus dosage in the beginning was 15U per day. It didn't work at all to bring my BS down. My doctor upped it every two weeks until finally I was taking 40U daily. The more physically active I became and the less carbs I ate, this dosage has come down to 26U daily. I don't even have to take my rapid-acting insulin at lunch because of all the activity.

Please call your doctor regarding your blood glucose readings. Again, at the correct dosage, insulin will work to bring your sugar down where it should be.

hootyowl2 responded:
I am not sure what the forgetfulness issue is either, be sure to ask your doctor right away. You could have some other issue going on.

How long have you been on the insulin? It does take a few weeks to 'kick in', if I remember right. I think it took about a month to get my sugars and insulin doses regulated when I started insulins. My blood sugars were around 400 when I started insulin--finally! I had had to change doctors to get one to put me on insulin, because the pills were making me sick as could be and not helping at all.

What insulin/s do you take? I take Lantus and Humalog, though lately I have not needed very much Humalog. That is a good thing. Lantus is a long acting insulin, and you take it once a day. Humalog is a fast acting insulin that you take with meals and for spikes in your sugars. Most doctors will give you a sliding scale to use when you have spikes in your blood sugar. If you are careful, you will not usually need much in the way of correction doses.

There are other brands and kinds of insulin out there.

Hooty

Anon_320 responded:
Confusion and forgetfulness can be caused by stress, urinary tract infections, medications, Lyme Disease, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency, depression, dehydration, sleep apnea and any number of other things. As the previous posters said, you need to see your doctor about this, and not assume that it's related to your diabetes or insulin (although it could be).

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.