Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
my a1c is 7.9 got conceived
An_258203 posted:
hi,

Am a dibetic got conceived.yesterday i checked my a1c is 7.9.
many of them said there may be possibilities to get abnormalities to child.am panic..is there any risk?
am 7 weeks pregnant now

hootyowl2 responded:
Hi An_258203

I don't know the answer to your question. However, I had undiagnosed gestational diabetes with all 3 of my babies back in the 1970s when all they had was pee in the cup once a month. They weighed 10 lbs, 9 lbs 15 oz, and 9 lbs 2 oz at birth. They were all just fine. And no C-section.

However, since you KNOW you are diabetic, and pregnant, please do what you can to control your blood sugars. Learn from others on here how to manage your sugars, and keep them as even as you can. You STILL have to eat sufficient for your Baby to grow well. Have you started prenatal care yet? That is very important to your health, and the health of your Baby. You will need prenatal vitamins too to be sure you get enough for Baby.

You do need to get your A1c down better, probably closer to 7, or a bit under. I am not sure what the OB/GYNs recommend nowadays for that.

Take a deep breath and relax, and come here often to learn how to take care of yourself.

Hooty

glucerna responded:
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Please check in with your physician as soon as possible, and also ask for a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you plan a healthy diet for pregnancy and diabetes. The American Diabetes Association has helpful information at http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/pregnancy/ ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.