Skip to content
Flute how are you doing?
debs_bears posted:
I see you are posting, how are you doing with all your surgical procedures? Been praying for you. Debbie
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

flutetooter responded:
Thanks, Debs! I am excellent. 5 procedures including vaginal hysterectomy, 3 pelvic prolapse repairs and hernia repair by open incision because it was small and near the groin - not suitable for laparoscopy also because of previous abdominal scars from another hernia (genetic weakness of abdominal wall) and a tube tying procedure 45 years ago. Also, I have a pacemaker so the anesthesiologist had additional duties. I was in surfer 3 3/4 hrs., in recovery only 1 hour before being sent to my room, and received Discharge papers from the hospital 17 hrs. after surgery. Minimal narcotic pain meds the first couple days, and now a week later, only an occasional Motrin,,. I'm walking 1/2 to 1 mi. a day plus all around the yard and house and could get myself in and out of bed painlessly the first day home. -- Almost unbelievable! I had a swimsuit on in a lounge chair the first day home to get a little sun. However, I am on strict order not to lift anything over 5 lbs, or to do exercise other than walking for 7 weeks. More on how I am limiting my carb intake to take that lack of energy & calorie expenditure into my daily carb intake count later.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

flutetooter replied to flutetooter's response:
Typo - NO I'm not surfing, meant to say surgery!

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Wow all that work in less than 4hrs. and you got to go home like the next day. Amazing how they work now a days.

My last surgery in May was another open incision, 3 hrs for surgery and all they did was sew my intestines together in an S shape and tack down my new hernia. I was in the hospital 2 days.

I am impress how well you are going. I read your A1c is 5.7 great job at keeping your numbers stable all thing considered. I will keep praying for you for that complete healing. How is the pace maker working for you?
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Flute, thought your smartphone was doing all your typing!

Glad you are doing well.

While in my surgical rotation for nursing, the vaginal hysterectomy was the second surgery to be observed. Cataract removal was the first. Hard on me for the cataract removal; just something having to do with the eyes I guess. Throughout my whole surgical rotation nothing bothered me at all except for those cataracts. Other girls would be on the floor in a dead faint in those surgical suites. Those poor doctors having to put up with student nurses. There really is no better way to learn than observe all things around you.

Amazing how well you are doing you spring chicken. Great way to consume your Vitamin D. I can't sit out in the sun much due to medication. Ill-advised says the label.

Do you ever watch New York Med? Just wondering as they did a segment on one of their ER nurses. She is 29 years old and had to have a pacemaker installed. Her heart would completely stop or slow down dramatically for 7-8 seconds and she would fall to the floor no matter where she was. Her doctor was afraid she might be killed from these falls she was taking.

Hope you and your pacemaker are getting along well!

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks Auriga, I continue to do fine. Now I can drive again and am walking 1 mi. plus a few street hills (not dunes yet) a day plus around the house , stairs and yard. Off all pain meds and am really looking forward to a river paddlewheel steamboat cruise on the upper Mississippi at the end of September for the fall colors. I get regular interrogations for the pacemaker. After the first year I think it will be every 6 mo. only and one of those will be by the monitor at home, so I don't have to go in. Its purpose for me, is to just boost my lowest heart rate up to 60 beats per minute so I don't get tired especially after a night when it usually dropped to 31! I'll write a new post on carbs.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.