Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
insulin
loraro posted:
I have a son 42 years old. He has been on insulin for three years. My question is if his AII is now in the normal range would it be safe to stop insulin? If so what could be some of the side effects? Should he ween himself off?

mrscora01 responded:
No, it's not safe to stop!!!!

If you patched a leak in a hose, and it was no longer leaking, would you take the patch off and expect it to be ok?

If his blood sugars are normal now, they are that way because of the insulin. If he begins to go low, then yes, by all means, adjust downwards. it is possible to get off insulin for SOME people. But you do it because you are going low, not because your blood sugars are normal.

My next question is whether or not your son has been tested for type 1? It is possible at any age and if he actually is type 1, and stops the insulin, then the side effects could be hospitalization and even death due to high blood sugar.

The most important thing with diabetes is keeping your blood sugars in a normal range. It basically doesn't really matter how you get there. Being on insulin doesn't make your diabetes "worse", it just means that your pancreas may be damaged in some way.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 responded:
Mrscora is absolutely right!!! She has given great advice.

My A1c is completely normal BECAUSE I take two insulins. That is the reason why my blood sugar is normal. If I stop, my A1c would be back up to 13.2.

Diabetes is a chronic disease. It does not go away. It can and does go into remission when one eats properly, exercises and take their insulin, if needed.

Your son should be asking his doctor these questions. It is never safe to stop any medication without consulting a physician first.

glucerna replied to auriga1's response:
You've gotten some excellent information loraro. If you want to learn more about diabetes and diabetes medications, most hospitals offer classes where they welcome familiar members. The more you know about diabetes, the more help you will be to your son. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.