Skip to content
Sex & high blood sugar levels
An_258254 posted:
My 60-year old husband is managing his diabetes well with Metformin, but his blood sugar levels go up after sex. He can be close to normal when he checks it before, but they go way up afterwards. Does anyone else have this problem? What causes it and do we have to give up sex?
bigred53 responded:
I'd be willing to bet it's the body's natural response to exertion. Just like some people experience a raise in bs when they exercise.

If you're concerned you should talk to his doctor. Imo you both should continue enjoying sex whenever possible. It's very healthy and will keep you feeling young.

Anon_236417 responded:
A lot of men with Diabetes can't even perform so be glad that's your only problem. Give up on sex? Get it while you still can!
An_258338 responded:
Im a diabetic and after a great row of sex my blood sugars are fantastic. The only time I run into problems is when the brush on chocolate and the whipping cream comes out
brunosbud replied to An_258338's response:
...I'm ok even with chocolate and's the darn midget that gets me. Give up sex? All exercise is good and sex is the very best.
auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Me, too, chocolate and cream, that is. I don't care how high my BS goes. Not giving up on the very best exercise myself. Ever.
pennya replied to auriga1's response:
I'll have him mention it to his doctor at his next appointment. But not the chocolate body paints & the alcoholic whipped cream!

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.