Skip to content
Carb Intake After Surgery
flutetooter posted:
There are many different food plans for diabetics on this web site. My personal plan is to eat only the amount of carbohydrates that my remaining insulin, with my exercise and activity level can process without sending my blood sugar out of normal range. This means morning fasting glucose under 99, A1c under 6.0 (mine is currently 5.8 even after surgery 2 weeks ago) and 2 hour after meal random blood glucose lower than 126. In fact, I try not to have mine go up to even 135 even within the first hour after eating. I may be off the official versions of those "normal" meter reading, but you get the idea. Also, for a true non-diabetic, their numbesr will be even lower. So.... anyone who wants to eat sweet desserts every night or have numbers 200-300, probably will not bond with my plan. ??

My favorite books are Dr. Bernstein's Solution and Jenny Ruhl's books and website, which Nutrijoy and others have mentioned often. I limit my daily TOTAL of ALL carbs including leafy greens and non-starchy veggies to 80-100 grams a day. I divide my intake into 3 "half meals" of 15-20 carbs each and 3 snacks of 5-10 carbs each. Each meal will have about equal CALORIE intakes of protein and good fats. This means than the veggie portion will look much bigger and the fat portion very much smaller than the meat portion. I will eat an extra snack BEFORE I exercise or walk a mile with hills to keep my sugar from dropping and my liver from chugging out more glucose into my system than I would possibly eat.

I originally kept exact records of everything that went into my mouth plus exercise and activity notes, until the plan became automatic in my brain.

After surgery when I am limited to only walking for exercise for 7 weeks, I cut WAY back on carbs and also on portions, and made sure that everything I put into my mouth was NUTRIENT dense. The result is that I have lost 3 pound of fat around the middle, my muscles are stronger, and my sugars are still in the range I want. I am still on no meds after 4 years of being a diabetic.

I find myself unable to respond to most posts, as the wishes are so far from reality in my mind -- eat whatever they want, just take more meds, can't make time to exercise, haven't done any independent research, have excess weight, etc. Of course, Type 1 is a whole different disease, and must be carefully monitored with a doctor.

I know it takes a long time to become familiar with diabetes, but I do believe that the rewards of better health with no or less complications, and a longer, happier life can be within the reach of those who try.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

debs_bears responded:
Congrats dear you are doing excellent in all that you are doing. You have come a long way considering all that you have been through. Good Job Flute.
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

nutrijoy responded:
Your post is terrific and should help inspire newbies who are often clueless as to how to begin to cope with diabetes after being diagnosed. The two books that you mentioned are also my own two "best of breed" selections and I often recommend them to acquaintances. Both are now available in eBook formats which are less expensive than their hard copy editions. If you purchased Jenny's book from Amazon.com, the vendor has a "price match" offer that enables you to purchase the digital version for only 99 cents (I did).

brunosbud responded:
I respond to all fellow board members with the truth. My truth. Just because I share "my" truth, does not mean another's person's truth is wrong. In these hypersensitive times of political correctness and the customer's always right, most people, today, subscribe to, "If you have nothing good to say, then, shut up." In other words, it's not only bad to be "negative", it can cost you your job!

But, people need to understand that the truth is always a matter of perspective and honesty is far more important than hurt feelings...and, "shutting up" is far more "negative" than not sharing relevant intelligence with another human being in need.

Sincerely yours,
The Diabetes "A-Ho"

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.