Skip to content
My endo visit
liladieni posted:
Well, finally had my visit with an endocrinologist. I came away from it quite impressed with the level of care. She spent a good hour with me, and I gained a lot of useful information as well as a diet/exercise plan I can live with. Also got my Lantus decreased and a tighter sliding scale that increased my Novolog, as they want to bring the two in balance with eachother more.

My a1C is still 10.2, but so far I am sticking like glue to this diet plan so I expect it will drop by the next check. They've also made me appointments with a nephrologist, neurologist, and gastroenterologist. My liver enzymes are elevated, my kidney function is falling more, and I've developed neuropathy in my legs. I think that getting my diabetes under control will have a positive influence on all these other matters...if not improving them, then at least slowing the progression.

I am already seeing better numbers. I am hovering around 130 fasting when it used to run around 180 to 200, and running about 150 to 200 at mealtimes when it used to run 250 or higher all the time. I also have a glucagon kit now, as they expect I may have a few lows in the process of adjusting my insulins. I hope not...but it's a just in case sort of thing. I have it if I need it and I've taught those closest to me how to use it...even my 7 year old grandson. I babysit him a lot, it is often just me and him here, and I think he's old enough to know. He already knows how to check my blood sugar...knows what is high and what is low and what is ok....knows how to inject my insulin and we are working on learning to draw the proper dose. He also knows my address and knows how to call 911...another just in case thing.

Anyway...just wanted to post and let everyone know how things are. I hope all of you are doing well and feeling good.

brunosbud responded:
As I've said, the journey to better health is a selfless act...by teaching others. Congrats and good luck!

auriga1 responded:
Lila, thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Glad you got to see your new doc and are taking control over your health.

It took me a bit to get my two insulins adjusted to the correct dose. All the factors you have to take into consideration sometimes boggles the mind when it comes to insulin, eating and exercising. It still is a daily experimentation in my insulin dosing, food and exercise. If I take one step too many at work, I hit a brick wall and my BS will be at 50. My physical activity intensity and quantity vary day to day.

You are so right in teaching your grandson. He is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him. Great job!

It took three months to get my A1c down to 8.2 from 13.2. Take it one day at a time. Each day is new and exciting. Have your grandson join you in exercise. Make games out of it. Just keep moving. You know how kids LOVE to move!

Feeling good here. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

nutrijoy responded:
I think it's terrific that you have finally found an endocrinologist you can work well with to improve your BG control. I recently lost a friend who died from end stage renal failure. In his case, he knew what was required to stop the progression but admitted that he just didn't care. The previous year he had lost his wife of fifty plus years. Although he had children and grandchildren who adored him, the loss of his wife was more than he was willing to bear. He was actually doing quite well on dialysis but it took up a lot of time (essentially consumed three days per week). He finally tired of the ritual, refused further treatments, and was gone in less than two weeks.

You BG levels are still way too high in by all standards but since you are on insulin and now under the care of an endocrinologist, the following charts may be of value to you:
Adjusting Bedtime Insulin
Insulin Action Times
Correction Doses
The charts are in PDF format and will automatically download to your hard drive when you click on the links.

Knowing the action profiles of various insulins will help you avoid lows. Understanding and adjusting insulin doses is vital to bring your blood sugars into healthy ranges (it's the only way you're going to arrest your ongoing decline in kidney function and save them). For example, your fasting BG of 130 is my own post prandial (AFTER a meal) target. When I retire for the night, If I exceed 99 mg/dL, I will inject a correction dose to bring me back down to my target range (70-85 mg/dL). I don't use the values in the charts myself because they only provide general guidelines. However, some of my friends have found them to be useful in terms of breaking their previous mindset of adhering strictly to static, physician-prescribed insulin doses so it's my hope that you will also find them to be beneficial. For good BG control, dynamic insulin dosing is essential. Each of us should (in fact MUST) set our own individual targets for a healthy range. Do discuss these charts with your new doctor to find something that will work for you. You seem to have a loving grandson and it's my sincere hope that you will continue to enjoy his company for many years to come. Keep us posted of your progress and if you have any questions regarding dynamic insulin dosing, quite a few of us here in the forums have engaged in this organ-saving practice for many years and can answer any questions you may have.

glucerna replied to nutrijoy's response:
I think it's fantastic that you have so much support around managing diabetes. You're not leaving anything to chance and are taking charge of your health, and that's really inspiring. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.