Skip to content
morning high readings
pgh37 posted:
morning readings are between 150+200 after excercie in the morning they drop to 110+130 l am careful of what i eat at my evening meal but it doesnt seem to help

nutrijoy responded:
That is a common effect with many of us and it is due to something called the "Dawn Phenomenon" or "Dawn Effect." WebMD has an article that describes the effect in greater detail that you can read here . Discuss the matter with your doctor to explore the best option for you. Many of us use insulin to counter the effect and others can dampen the effect using other means. Discussing the matter with your doctor is your best option.

brooksiebabes responded:
I struggled with this for several years, advising my doctor, she continually blamed my dinner efforst, even when I advised I ate nothing after checking a reading low then sleeping and awaking to a reading high. Finally the medical field is acknowleding this as yes the Dawn Theory, it is based on your liver producing glucose in the sleeping hours. This is NOT your fault, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. My best advice is to take the insulin if your doctor recomends it but also to start to elimante all processed foods best as possible, no more breads, pastas, etc, only fruit and dont eat in at night. This has hhelped me tremendously, with 30 lb weight loss, and reduced insulin shots.

rwgunn responded:
Frustrating, isn't if? I, too, have the joy doing what I thought was responsible: eating small meals throughout the day and not snacking on all the carbs that are calling to me after my dinner, yet still ending-up with higher blood-glucose levels in the morning than I did the night before.

The liver processes the fructose portion of our normal sugars and stores a lot if as fat for future use. When the low blood-glucose sensors in our bodies get tripped, our bodies decide that we are in some kind of fasting state and the call is made to have some of that fat processed into glucose and other stuff. For some of us, the sensors seem to have calibrated themselves to a higher level than is considered correct in a non-diabetic body. This can cause a healthy blood sugar level of 90 to trigger the "We're starving for glucose!" mode and spiking the blood-glucose levels in the morning.

I've had some success in finding "snack" meals that have a low glycemic level that I eat just before bedtime. They can help prevent the body from going into panic mode and flooding your bloodstream with unneeded glucose.

It goes against what seems to be logic, but eating something before bed can actually keep your blood-glucose levels... well, level.

glucerna replied to rwgunn's response:
There's a good explanation of the Dawn phenomenon here: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/dawn-phenomenon.html ~Lynn @Glucerna

kenspurlock replied to glucerna's response:
Ask your doctor if injecting Detemir at bedtime will help control your blood sugar. After 18 years as a Type 2 diabetic I finally found an endocrinologist who understood me and my body and actually listened to me. Detemir is a long and slow acting insulin which works to keep your blood sugar at a constant level and has been working for me for two years. I check my sugars and inject a certain amount based on a sliding scale - if it's high I inject more, etc. I will tell you I have had a reading over 200 at bedtime and wake up with readings around 100 and under.
I inject fast acting NovoLog insulin at dinner time based on my sugar readings and again on a sliding scale if I am eating a normal sized meal. For example, I may have a larger lunch with a client and have a small salad or snack for dinner and will reduce the amount injected or I will have a sugar low, and you don't want any of those.
Ask your doc about the pre-filled flex-pens if they will fit your budget.

Best wishes,

mthomps6 responded:
How much water do you drink? Try not to eat too late at night at all and avoid alcohol as much as possible. Cut back on eating a lot of fruit if you are eating fruit and watch your carbs very carefully. Stay away from white rice and eat brown rice, but not even too much of that either. Everything in moderation.

flutetooter responded:
Are we all jumping to conclusions about this original post? It only gives morning readings between 150-200, without any evening readings, A1c, diet choices besides "careful", meds, insulin, etc. There could be many reasons for high morning reading other than dawn Phenomenon.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

brunosbud replied to flutetooter's response:
"...There could be many reasons for high morning reading other than dawn Phenomenon..." Exactly!

Now that I've firmly established (in my mind) the various "sources" that lead to poor blood glucose control, I've learned to monitor my health for signs or "indicators" (that my body is "compromised" and, subsequently, vulnerable to high readings). Exs....emotional irritability, depressed mood/negative thoughts, joint pain, acid reflux, teeth gnashing, susceptibility to colds or flu, intense sugar cravings, insomnia, headache, excessive urination, headache, drowsiness, coughing, sneezing.

These days, it's rare when I show signs of diabetes weakness so I no longer get ambushed by inexplicably high blood sugar readings. Still, I don't schedule blood work (A1C) during periods where I've been sick or during the Spring/Summer when pollen count is high or during times when I'm emotionally or physically upset. Knock on wood, I have not had a cold or flu for several years, now.

PS: I can't address this question, directly, because, again, the poster provides too little information. What information needs to be included? Well, if you don't know, then, whatever answer you get may work! (...or may not.)

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.