Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fasting Blood Sugar
annb54 posted:
My last two yearly fasting blood sugar has been 128. I also test my blood sugar first thing in the morning and most of the time it is 125 and above.My doctor said since my A1c is 5.5 and 5.6 he is not really worried.Should I be concerned?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

annb54 responded:
I am sorry I meant to say my last two yearly fasting blood sugar numbers during my annual exam were 128.I also test myself some mornings and my numbers are 125 to 132.My A1c is 5.5 and 5.6 the last two testings. My doctor isn't really concerned should I be?

auriga1 replied to annb54's response:
I would be. A non-diabetic averages 85 at any given time throughout the day, except for right after eating.

My doctor was worried when he did a random BS test in his office. Being the good doctor he is, he read my history (my mom had diabetes.) My number was 123. He preferred all my BS readings to be under 99. We did not go into any lengthy discussion regarding diabetes. He told me to modify my diet. I did and came back for another BS reading. It was 99 from changing what I ate. Mostly cutting down on carbs and empty calories.

I was in school for medical assisting and one of our labs was home testing. We all did the glucose monitoring and recorded the results. There were 20 of us girls, so this is not some medical study producing any scientific results. All of the women were at 82 or 83. I was the oddball and my professor told me to see a doctor. LOL. Mine was 324. Two hours after eating. That number should have been under 140 or if I was a non-diabetic, it would have been like everyone else's.

All I am saying is that your numbers are higher than normal regardless of what your A1c says. Most doctors would say your range of numbers is in the pre-diabetic range. For a person diagnosed with diabetes, most doctors prefer the a.m. fasting number to be between 70-100. Yours are bit higher. I am not a doctor or medical professional, just a diabetic speaking from experience.

Since you have come here, you seem to be concerned yourself. Read up in pre-diabetes and diabetes.

Out of curiosity, how come you test yourself? Is there diabetes in your family?

annb54 replied to auriga1's response:
Yes my mother had diabetes.She died I feel because she did not take care of herself.I am also on a zocor for my cholesterol.I understand that can cause your blood sugar to read high.

glucerna replied to annb54's response:
Have you thought about testing your blood sugar 2 hours after you eat? That will give you more information about how your body handles food, and you can use this information to decide what type of changes in your food choices or activity level you might want to make. Also, if you haven't attended a diabetes education program, ask your doctor for a referral so you can learn as much as possible about diabetes and how you can manage it. ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 replied to annb54's response:
If the Zocor is making your BS higher than it should be, it might be wise to speak with a dietician. Reading high is the same is being higher than normal.

It really is easy enough to cut down on your consumption of carbs. Read up on diabetes and carbohydrates. To most of the folks reading here, I keep repeating that diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Don't cut out carbs. Just cut down on them. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Do a little research.

The post-prandial reading, as Glucerna says, is a good indicator of how your body handles carbs. That 324 I mentioned was 2 hours after my meal. I have had readings in the 450's two hours after my meals. This is before I started insulin. I was in my dietician's office when I tested one time. She sent me to the ER with a reading of 435. She felt I wasn't in the safe zone especially since I was by myself.

Seeing that this might be a familial thing, best to catch anything before it gets anywhere. Good that you are testing and are aware. Self-education is a good place to start. I mentioned the dietician above They can be very helpful. At least mine was for me. I had many appointments with her until my diabetes was controlled. She gave me a number of carbs per meal to ingest. I was uncontrolled when I began seeing her, so my carb intake was lower than most patients'. Portion control of all food intake is wise and so is caloric intake. Our bodies need energy and this comes from food. It should be the right food in the right amounts.

Sorry about your mom. Sounds like my mom. She didn't take care of herself either. I mean she ate right, but no exercise and she was seeing the wrong kind of doctor. She should have been going to an endo along with her cardiologist. He didn't know much about diabetes. My mom passed from end-stage renal disease due to diabetes. There are only so many years for dialysis before the body actually shuts down.

You take care and do a lot of reading and talking. It helps.

annb54 replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for all the information.I just don't feel that my doctor is concerned enough.He said cut down on the sugar and come back in three months to test again.He never mentioned that Zocor might cause my blood sugar to go up.I happened to find that online.

bigred53 replied to annb54's response:
Ann your doctor probably didn't know that Zocor could do that. Most doctors are not too knowledgeable about possible side effects. If he's part of an HMO there is a sort of formula based on test results he probably has to work from. It is up to each of us to be advocates for our own health and treatments. We should do our own research about the drugs we're prescribed too imo.

I have mixed feelings about cholesterol lowering drugs. I've taken statins in the past. I'm currently taking Zetia and Trilipix. A side effect of the Trilipix is becoming increasingly difficult for me to deal with even taking it every other day. It backs up my internal plumbing and I eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water. I don't want to take something else to have to fix the problem. It's quite the conundrum. Something else to discuss with my doctor. Not to mention the expense of the Zetia.

Continue to monitor your blood sugar. Act as if you are diabetic which should help you to be healthier in the long term.

Michelle

annb54 replied to nutrijoy's response:
Could you give me the blood sugar numbers that I should be looking for before and after a meal? I guess for non diabetic and diabetic? thanks so much for your help?

glucerna replied to annb54's response:
The American Diabetes Association has good information about diabetes here: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/?loc=db-slabnav They state that a normal fasting BG is <100, prediabetic range is 100-125, and 126 or higher is diabetes. They also give ranges for A1c: normal is <5.7, prediabetic is 5.7-6.4 and diabetes is 6.5 or higher. ~Lynn @Glucerna

glucerna replied to glucerna's response:
I meant to include that a 2 hour BG of <140 is also recommended. ~Lynn @Glucerna

bigred53 replied to annb54's response:
Hi again. Fasting should be between 70 - 100. I test before I even get out of bed usually. Two hours after a meal should be under 140. I'm not sure about before meals but I would imagine it should be about the same as fasting. Imo since you're not on insulin I don't think testing before meals is necessary unless you want to check what a particular food does to your blood sugar.

Since my A1c is 5.6 my doctor has prescribed only two tests per day. If I want to test more often I have to pay out of pocket for strips and at $65 for 50 it's a bit much.

Imo one of the keys to good control is finding out how different foods affect your blood sugar levels. I've been doing this diabetic dance for over eight years and I continue to learn. There are so many things that can and will affect your blood sugar - stress, illness and activities to name a few. Even lack of sleep and vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Your best defense is learning as much as you can about diabetes and any other medical conditions you may have.

Keep coming back and asking questions. I'm not the most knowledgeable person here but I'll help as I'm able.

Michelle

nutrijoy replied to annb54's response:
Here's a graphical representation of the values that I go by. The upper set of values are target goals set by many diabetes care professionals. The bottom set of values are "True" normal or what a non-diabetic person usually has. A picture makes it much easier to remember although some might argue with the "Target" levels being too strict.

annb54 replied to glucerna's response:
Since my doctor want say I am diabetic my insurance want pay for a diabetic education class. How can I learn about how to eat to help control my blood sugar?

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.