Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trouble taking meds
An_258381 posted:
I amposting looking for any recommendations to taking medications consistently. I have the hardest time taking my medicines everyday. I have the hardest time to remember to take my meds everyday. I work shiftwork and just cannot rmember everyday to take my meds. Any recommendations? I have my meds in a weekly pill box for days and nights just need a place that it jumps out at me everyday to take my meds. I know I have got to stay on top of this.

flutetooter responded:
How about on the toilet lid? your pillow? under your car keys? on the breakfast table or counter? on top of the coffee pot?your purse/briefcase? Are you taking some meds for memory? You could try some pictures on your refrigerator door of what people who don't take their meds look like. Seriously, when people I know can't be responsible for their meds any more, then someone else takes over -- like an assisted living staff.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

bigred53 replied to flutetooter's response:
Are you in denial or what? The more often you forget your meds the worse off you're going to be. You do understand that don't you? I can count on one hand the number of times I have forgotten my meds in over eight years.

I keep my meds in a zip lock bag in my purse which is always with me.

If you're mature enough to keep a job then you should be able to remember to take your meds.

Michelle

nutrijoy responded:
Remembering to take your meds is as simple as mentally linking the task to something that you do every day. I don't take oral meds but I do take supplements, LOTs of them. However, I take them only with food/meals so I use a pill organizer similar to the 4X a day one shown below (the bottom one). The upper one is color coded and a neighbor uses that type for her twice a day dosages (AM & PM). It can also be split up and used for two separate weeks if you only take once a day meds. I leave my 4X box on the kitchen table and link it to a very basic and simple task: EATING. Whenever I have my meals, I automatically mentally link it to taking my supplements. Since I can't "forget" to eat (except consciously if I'm going to skip a meal), there is no way that I'm going to forget to take my supplements. You don't have to link the taking of your meds to food but you certainly can link it to something that you do EVERY single day, preferably at the same time of the day.

Flute gave you some good examples of simple reminders but let me expand on just one of them. If you take your meds at bedtime, place your pill box on your pillow. You can't sleep properly with the container on your pillow so the reminder is a no-brainer. After taking your meds, place the pill box on the night stand next to your clock, radio, or whatever other appliance you have. In the morning upon arising, move the pill box back onto your pillow and repeat the ritual in the evening. On the other hand, if you take your meds in the AM, place the pill box on top of the toilet tank or some other obvious place where you go to every AM, preferably resting it on a towel to ensure cleanliness. Upon arising, take your meds first (very important) before going about with other tasks. Easy, simple, virtually foolproof.

An_258381, your problem is more serious than you may realize. Assuming that you have diabetes (or you wouldn't be posting in this forum), skipping meds can make your diabetes progressively worse. In addition to all of the horrible things that you might have heard about damage to nerves, kidneys, eyes, heart, amputations, etc., people with uncontrolled diabetes have a significantly higher risk for dementia. This article on the Blood Sugar 101 site hammers this message home and includes lots of references so that stubborn skeptics can check it out for themselves. The longer you let the problem persist, the worse it is likely to get. Flute's ominous warning could then come to fruition because if you continue to decline, you will eventually need a caretaker. It may ultimately make the difference between truly living your life or just vegetating away. That could result in the loss of your independence and perhaps some of the very qualities that make life worthwhile. Get with a program now and stick with it. Good luck.

glucerna replied to nutrijoy's response:
I've worked shift work, and I know what you mean about how it makes sticking to a regular schedule more difficult. There have been excellent suggestions posted here, and the next step is to figure out which of them will work in your situation. You might need one strategy for each different schedule you work. Another idea is to talk with your doctor about the best time to take the medication given your shift work schedule. Perhaps there is one consistent time of day you can take the medication no matter what schedule you're working, and you could set an alarm on your phone to remind you? ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.