Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What foods to avoid that increase blood glucose
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - just wondering if there is a website - a reliable one - that can tell you what foods raise blood glucose - this is such a mystery to me.

I love fresh fruit and vegetables and will continue to enjoy them. Anyway, wondering just what foods to avoid - trying to figure out how to lower my blood glucose.

Thanks - am sure there is a list somewhere surely - thanks again.

glucerna responded:
It's great that you're looking for guidance on what to eat to manage diabetes. There isn't one set diet, or set list of foods to avoid, that works for everyone. The current guidelines recommend that each person individualize their food choices based on your individual needs by testing your blood sugar before and after you eat. The American Diabetes Association has helpful information on healthy eating here: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/ ~Lynn @Glucerna

Anon_11642 replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you - now hoping my next post will be answered below. tx.

nutrijoy replied to Anon_11642's response:
Lynn is correct in stating that there is no one single set of rules that applies to everyone. Diabetes is largely a disease of carbohydrate intolerance but the degrees of that intolerance varies from person to person. If you want some general guidelines, tropical fruits like mangos and pineapple will raise blood glucose levels more than non-tropical fruits such as pears and apples. Leafy green vegetables and above-ground vegetables are healthier for most diabetics than below-ground vegetables such as beets, carrots, potatoes and tubers. Most organic, natural fats are diabetes friendly, even animal fats if the animals are grass-fed and not stuffed with GMOs, antibiotics, synthetic hormones, and other unnatural foods and chemicals. I personally go by the low carb guidelines advocated by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein . You can find free chapters from his book at this link . His chapters dealing with diet and food (Chapters 9 & 10) include some specific lists of good and bad vegetables. To him, the only "good" fruit is avocado but that's because he is a T1 diabetic and produces no insulin of his own. T2's have a little more latitude and this is also addressed.

bigred53 replied to nutrijoy's response:
Hi. I generally try to stay away from simple carbs like white bread, rice, potatoes and pasta. When I eat bread it's usually whole grain. I also don't eat a lot of processed foods. I have fat free or low fat dairy products, some nuts, lean meats and the fruits I eat are usually berries of some kind. I've been eating cherries since they've been in season. I also have a few apples a week. Lately I've been eating a lot of cucumbers and sugar snap peas. I like the crunch.

The best way to find out how foods affect your blood sugar is to test before you eat and then two hours after. It should be less than 140.

Don't feel that you have to give up everything. I'll have a dry baked potato when I go out to dinner and I'll even have a beer...lol.

Keep coming back here when you have questions and we'll try to help. Learn as much as you can about diabetes too.

Michelle

max9821 responded:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv3QDzdxan_JkGX47Rpboyh2oYyAFZDBA

above are short videos by plantpositive. videos number 35 and 36 are about insulin resistance. The more insulin resistant you are the higher your blood sugars. You do not want to make yourself insulin resistant.

Low carbing makes you insulin resistant. Atkins, the high priest of low carb, says in his second book, Dr. Atkins Nutrition Breakthrough, that some of his diabetic patients (he does not say how many and I expect the number is large) "adjust" (quotes are his) to his diet and their blood sugars rise. This is his way of not saying what has happened---they have become more insulin resistant. His solution? He adds whole grains to his horrible diet. Unfortunately he does not remove the fat and meat.

If you are interested, you can also listen to the other videos in this series and his other series. Ancel Keys has been demonized by the low carb contingent who dish out misinformation.

dolores

nutrijoy replied to max9821's response:
Sorry Delores, but I don't agree with many of PlantPositive's "factual" positions. This is a bit off-topic but may be necessary to counter the misinformation that often comes from the biased statements that the organization makes. Although I don't fully agree with Anthony Colpo 's views towards Plant Positive, some of his points are valid and can be found at this site . Note that Colpo's blog post dates back to 2011 but nothing much has changed to alter my own views about PP.

My own diet IS primarily vegan but for 2.5 years, I experimented with a very high fat diet (approx. 70% of calories). I did not suffer any health issues during or after my experiment nor did my cholesterol levels rise to unhealthy levels; conditions that are commonly blamed on the ingestion of saturated fats. In fact, my blood tests actually improved (overall) in terms of my cholesterol and lipid levels during this experiment. I have since concluded that all of the bad press and results of ingesting fats may be due to leading sedentary lifestyles, genetic predispositions or those who already have existing cardiac issues.

Plant Positive's blog post regarding the June 23rd, 2014 issue of Time Magazine's "Eat Butter" article was particularly entertaining, not for its objective treatment of the topic but for its amusement value. Note: the full Time mag article itself is protected behind a subscription wall.

max9821 replied to nutrijoy's response:
You don't need a magazine article to get information from plant positive. (Another blogger is Healthy Longevity whose articles are similar). I think plant positive is believable because he has photos of the actual pages of references that Colpo, Taubes, et al use. And shows what they have left out.

Atkins had no connection with plant positive yet, you can read in his own book which I mentioned above that his patients "adjusted" to his diet. Plant Positive does not even mention this second book of Atkins.

Low carbers will find excuses why sugars increase. Atkins uses the term "adjust" , Chris Kresser says A1c numbers rise despite LOW fasting and post prandial numbers because in some people blood cells live longer. Does he know that A1c is a weighted value and the last two to four weeks is what you are mostly reading?

I do not know what people mean when they say their numbers are fine. Jimmy Moore who lost a lot of weight on Atkins then gained it back then lost or is losing it now on what he calls his "nutritional ketosis" diet has cholesterol numbers over three hundred and thinks they are fine. Gary Taubes recently published his blood test results and thinks his cholesterol of 204 is fine. People find their A1c climbing and think that is fine. So, to each his own.

dolores

nutrijoy replied to max9821's response:
Sure sounds like you're a victim of Big Pharma propaganda. When I went on a high fat diet (extremely high by most standards), my cholesterol levels DID go up: from a total of 174 to a total of 224. Of this "huge" increase, a whopping sixty percent (60% or 30 points out of the 50) was in HDL, not LDL. Moreover, the special LDL test (which was relatively expensive) showed that most of my LDL is the fluffy type which is supposed to be good. What else transpired during my personal experiment? My triglycerides plummeted to 49 and my HDL to Total ratio dropped from 2.4 to 2.0 (even you will have to admit that is healthy even though my total went up to 224). I have the LabCorp test results to prove it. Okay, so I'm just an anomaly. Other people die from high cholestestol in your eyes, right? Then Google it for yourself: "people over 70 with high cholesterol live longer" or you can just read this excerpt from Dr. Ravnskov's most recent book (I purchased the digital version from Amazon.com when it first came out).

And there's the famous, largest and longest lasting Framingham study that set out to prove your point of view: that the study would validate the diet-heart hypothesis once and for all and prove that cholesterol causes heart disease. If you read the media reports that emerged throughout the study, Framingham FAILED to provide evidence or proof that there was any link, not even remotely. Even Ancel Keys, who in many ways can be considered the "father" of the cholesterol-heart disease hypothesis, had this to say in 1997:
"There's no connection whatsoever between the cholesterol in food and cholesterol in the blood. And we've known that all along. Cholesterol in the diet doesn't matter at all (emphasis is mine) unless you happen to be a chicken or a rabbit."
The reference to "a chicken or a rabbit" pertained to early studies performed on chickens and rabbits where researchers force-fed these animals extremely high-levels of cholesterol. Since chickens and rabbits are mostly vegetarian, their physiology is not adapted for processing such large amounts of foreign cholesterol. It's really no surprise that they developed atherosclerosis by ingesting huge amounts of a substance that was alien to both their diet and their physiology. The incredible blunder that was made was assuming that the results of this experiment could be extrapolated to humans. Our physiology is so different it's impossible to make or draw any comparisons other than that we're all mammals.

I could cite many hundreds of studies, articles and blog posts that take opposing positions on both sides of the argument but it's unlikely to change any minds. I conducted my own personal experiment and can only verify that the diet-heart hypothesis probably does not apply to me (2.5 years won't definitively prove anything from a scientific point of view; it only gave me insight and skepticism about the claim). A guest lecturer at a 1977 symposium on the topic of statin drugs and cholesterol made this remark:

Well, it looks like we're finally starting to get there. Only time will tell.

nutrijoy replied to Anon_11642's response:
Back on topic. Sorry to have hijacked your post. There are lots of food lists that cover both the good and the bad. Most still contain (IMHO) incorrect information of "good" vs. "bad" fats. For example, most dieticians and even some notable doctors consider all saturated fats to be bad and throw coconut oil into the mix. However, coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils around and it doesn't even contain long chain fatty acids. Instead, the fats that it does contain are medium chain (MCT) which has been shown to be beneficial to brain health. Diabetic Living Online has a list of twenty-two foods to avoid for PWDs. You can also find a more-generalized chart at this link .

If you haven't yet had an opportunity to browse the chapters of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, he does provide a fairly comprehensive list of foods that are safe/good for PWDs as well as a list of "no-nos" or specific foods to avoid. Here's a link to the PDF version of that specific chapter . Hope this helps.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
You're right about one thing, NJ. It won't change people's minds. That was the big "admission" in the Time article. The doctors got it wrong and the American people paid the price. Eggs and butter are bad and will continue to be so...for many years to come.

That's OK. Just means more for me.

auriga1 responded:
Anon_11642, there is no specific list of what foods raise blood glucose. You will see the glycemic index listing foods from top to bottom, top being high in glucose and going on down from there.

Diabetes has to do with carbohydrate metabolism. Each one of is different in what our bodies can tolerate carb-wise.

You have your simple carbs and your complex carbs. All of our foods contain carbohydrates except for your protein and fats.

All carbs will raise your blood sugar. Simple carbs can do so quickly and substantially. Complex carbs are absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream.

I do take insulin to help control my diabetes. Along with insulin usage, I have modified my diet to lower-carb and more physical activity. Insulin, lower carbs, more activity have lowered my A1c from 13.2 to 5.6. My body is highly intolerant of carbohydrates.

You may want to talk with your doctor and/or a dietician to ask how many carbs you should consume per meal or per day. Add in physical activity each and every day along with lowering carb intake.

As you can see from various posts here, there are differing opinions. I have a diabetic team consisting of an endocrinologist, dietician and diabetic educator. All three are proponents of lower carb intake to help lower blood glucose along with upping physical activity. The physical activity uses that glucose in your bloodstream as fuel to help lower your BS numbers.

The glycemic index may help you somewhat. Stay away from those foods high on the list. Everyone does something a little different to help control their diabetes.

Fruits are naturally high in sugars. Some more than others. See where they fall in the glycemic index. There are some vegetables to stay away from as Nutrijoy stated. I LOVE corn, especially corn on the cob during the summer. There are 19 carbs in one small ear, about 2 2/3 ounces. A larger ear, of course, will have more.

Do you count all the carbs in what you eat? As I said, everything has carbs in it (except proteins and fats), so one meal can easily add up those carbs. If you eat carbs with lots of fiber, this can slow down the absorption of glucose in your bloodstream.

You should journal what you eat and take your blood glucose before you eat and two hours after you eat. You can see in black and white what foods raise your blood sugar and keep it up. Your BS should be 140 or below two hours after eating. I did do this at my doctor's request because my diabetes was so out of control. I had to experiment more or less and eliminate many foods or take more insulin.

I don't know where any specific list might be. What I have seen are lists of foods that contain the number of carbs in those foods. You will have to determine what you can or cannot eat from the testing that you do. Your meter will tell you if you have done things right.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.