Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How many carbs per day should one have
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - am trying not to get diabetes but getting closer - hear so much about sugar and carbs - where can I find a good website on first how many per day we should have without a big spike in our sugar and possibly foods high and low in carbs.

It's hard to figure all this out but am not giving up in my search. There was an article here about Dreamfields pasta for diabetics. My husband and I both eat Dreamfields - it is high in fiber - he takes metformin but so far I dont have to take any meds but one fact for sure I will NEVER give up pasta - I am 100% italian - ok - I will continue to eat my Dreamfields but possibly lower in portions.

Anyway, need info on where to go etc to add carbs of foods I eat and again I want to know how many carbs a person can have per day - if I knew that I could help myself more. Thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
Typical question on a diabetes board. It implies that carbs are bad. This is exactly the same mistake that was made 25 years ago when doctors said fats are bad because it raises your cholesterol.

No two people react the same to food. These are complex chemical reactions with multiple variables. My answer has little to no relevance. It depends on what kind of carb. It depends on age. Depends on sex. There are many genetic factors. Depends on fitness level. Depends on present meds. Depends on sleep quality. Depends on stress. Depends on exercise. Depends on co-morbidities. Depends on % body fat. Depends on Winter or Summer. Depends on your present state of blood glucose control, etc, etc, etc....

If a teen reads this post, they will conclude they've learned something. Hopefully, they're read mine and realize...

The only thing matters is how they react to the food they eat. Then, make the necessary adjustments, accordingly.

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
I agree with brunosbud that there isn't one set amount of carbohydrate, or one set type of diabetes diet that applies to everyone. Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you come up with the healthiest eating plan for you. If you're at risk of diabetes, many communities and hospitals offer diabetes prevention education programs that will give you a lot of helpful information on both food choices and physical activity. ~Lynn @Glucerna

nutrijoy responded:
Brunosbud and Lynne have provided you with good general advice, especially Bruno's. The best way to determine what is right for you is to actually perform before-and-after blood glucose testing (it will require an investment in a meter and strips but the ones sold at WalMart are accurate enough for your self-experiment and are relatively inexpensive). You can download a PDF file from the Blood Sugar 101 site named "Flyer.pdf" that will provide the relatively simple instructions involved. To access the flyer instructions, go to the www.bloodsugar101.com website and click on the link on the left side entitled, How To Lower Your Blood Sugar. There will also be a link near the bottom of the page to download a streamlined PDF copy. You won't have to give up pasta if you're not yet diabetic but with a BG Meter, you can actually see the impact that it has on your blood sugar levels. This becomes even more critical as you age. There is a neat little appliance-tool called Veggetti that is sold at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $15. It will shred zucchini squash into spaghetti-like strands that will provide a faux-spaghetti that can be quite satisfying. WebMD's posting software is still fouled up and doesn't display links, line breaks or even some punctuation properly. That's why this post is one long paragraph - to make it easier to read. To locate the product I mentioned, just go to the Bed Bath and Beyond website and do a search for VEGGETTI to locate it.

betatoo responded:
As others have said, no set carb limits as everyone is different. However, I could say that carbs are not the problem more the starches which is a category of concentrated carbs. These will raise your blood glucose quickly as the white versions-white pasta, white potato and bread will go to glucose almost immediately on ingestion. Brown and orange versions of the same will raise your levels more gradually, but will stay in the system longer, but without an initial spike.

My own diet keeps me from meds, but is not for everyone. I have come to eat one piece of toast in the morning, with the rest of my day being mostly lightly cooked veggies and proteins, or salads. I get some carbs from fruit, but most from the veggies which I eat a lot of. I keep my weight balanced with snacks of nuts and some hard Italian cheeses.

brinerlady responded:
Once again I tell people to get the book, "The Calorie King" by Allan Borushek. - Calorie, Fat and Carbohydrate counter.This book has every thing eatable in the world, drinks, fruits, alcohol,desserts, restaurants, (olive garden, Applebees etc.) and fast foods (McDonalds, A&W,) No one is left out. It will give you almost everything in their menus. I keep one in my car and one in the house. We were out for a long ride one day and were parached. Needed something to drink. There was an A&W so we stopped. Got out my book and saw I could have a black cow!!!!!! Made with 20 ounces of sugar free root beer and one sparce spoon of ice cream. It was heaven and no reaction to my testing. In my diabetic instruction given at the local hospital and paid for by insurance, We were taught that 45 - 60 carbs PER MEAL. I take Metformin 500mg. at breakfast, a half pill at lunch, and 500mg. tablet at supper. My insulin I take at night and is Lantis Solostar (using the pen) and I can gauge my own units to take now after two years. It varies from 5 units to 10 units. Never over 10. I probably could eliminate that now but it's always a crutch. Two level TBSP of peanut butter is only 7 carbs. Most meats have >>>NO>>>carbs. Fry a quarter # hamburger (80% lean) no bun..no carbs. Calories are 290. A large baked potato, with butter(butter has no carbs but calories!! ) is only 63 carbs. The potato has 350 calories. So this hamburger with a baked potato and butter is is 640 calories and 63 carbs. That is one meal using the 45 - 60 carbs per meal.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is about 200 calories for the bread and 15 carbs per slice, or 30 carbs. Use sugar free jams or jellies.
If you take the time to read this book over, and look at the things you want, check it out first. Substitute. Cucumbers are good for diabetes. Buy some dill dip and do a light dip with the cucumber. Use carrots..cauliflower. Not a lot of carbs in the dip, just don't load it on. Use your head. The small amount of calories in some of these things you can probably work off during some excersizes. Life can be tolerable if you read this and pay attention. All diabetics should have this book. Barnes and Noble has it and probably Amazon. Good luck in your journey.

flutetooter responded:
And once again, many diabetics do almost the opposite of the "eat what you like and cover it with meds and insulin" approach. Whatever works for you is ultimately the only approach that will be successful. I have a good friend that refuses to cut back on any carbs and keeps wondering why he went from metformin to more meds to insulin, and now can't get under 200 and has protein in his urine. He refuses even to read about diabetes. I wonder what will work for him ....or not.

I am still on no meds after 4 years and keep my carb count to 15-20 per meal and 5-10 per snack and keep to 80-100 total per day because that works best for me. I eat a large salad. some veggie/meat or bean soup, and many low carb veggies plus low fat dairy, eggs, limited fruits, lean meats, and lots of nuts. My last A1c was 5.8. I still am working on getting down to 5.5
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

bigred53 replied to flutetooter's response:
Flute I had a friend like yours (we had a falling out). I tried many times to educate her but she loves food more than she loves herself.

I admire those of you who manage your diabetes without meds. I don't think I'll ever get there but I'm getting much better at keeping my numbers in range. My last A1c was 5.6 and it wasn't that difficult to get there.

I don't officially count calories or carbs but after many years of dieting I'm pretty aware of what is high or low. I'm always reading labels too.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I have my splurges. Last Friday was my dear sister's birthday and we went to dinner at Black Angus. I took half of my dinner home but I did have dessert and two martinis a rarity in my life.

I usually eat pretty simply. Close to the way you eat Flute and that has been working well for me as I continue losing weight slowly. It's been a journey for sure and quite the learning experience. Imo learning about diabetes and applying that knowledge is so important for good health. At age 60 I'm feeling pretty darn good.

Michelle

glucerna replied to bigred53's response:
It sounds like you're doing great Michelle! Since diabetes is a chronic condition, at some point many people will need oral medications or insulin, even when they follow a healthy eating plan and get regular exercise. It's not that you failed, but rather that your body isn't cooperating What I admire is how you're continuing to learn more about how to best manage diabetes within your life, working to have overall good health, and feel great. That's fantastic! ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 replied to brinerlady's response:
I continually mention the book "The Calorie King." My dietician recommended it highly and has copies in her office. This book is updated annually.

This is my bible.

I also have an e-reader with the web. You can access "The Calorie King" online for any specific foods you need to look up. It's free.

My dietician recommended 35-45 carbs per day. Personally for me, that is too much. As you can see, everyone is different in carb amounts per day that they "should" or "should not" eat. The amount given to me was tailored for me as an individual. We are all not the same in how our bodies process carbs.

If one decides to eat more carbs per meal/per day, one should up their physical activity. This will "eat" up those carbs one has eaten. I can say this because it happens with me. If you cannot be physically active, cut way down on those carbs. The blood glucose will show elevated readings and those elevated sugars will be stored as fat in your body.

I work with seniors and they can not figure out why they have gained weight. A good number of them are diabetic. They ask me how I do it. I told them that "I move." I "move" every single day. Sad to say, I have seen how they eat. There are probably 2% who "watch" what they eat.

bigred53 replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you Lynn. It's been quite the journey but giving up is not an option. I know too many diabetics who don't even try to learn anything and just eat whatever they want and shoot more insulin. It makes me so angry and sad too.

I do have other issues - cholesterol, especially triglycerides and the meds are causing other issues. Grrrrr..... I also have sciatica which causes my legs to get numb which is kind of scary if I need to walk around a bit. But I do what I need to do. No giving up for this old broad. ..lol.

Michelle

brunosbud replied to bigred53's response:
I admire anyone who maintains a sharp saw.

bigred53 replied to brunosbud's response:
Yep it's good for cutting through the b.s. Thanks Bruno for your sharp wit and knowledge.

Michelle

betatoo replied to bigred53's response:
Several of us here, have learned to process a proper number of carbs, not starches with the aid of a healthy diet, plenty of exercise, and no medication. Every diet, no lifestyle, really depends on the steps the person is willing to take. Every person has to determine what is important to them.

Everyone that knows me would consider me a "foodie". I love food, and relish a great meal properly seasoned with small amounts of starch, great amounts of veggies, and a tasty protein artfully arranged on my plate. I cook often for myself, but fine dining on a cruise such as Disney is fantastic for a vacation.
I had so many wonderful meals while on board too many to remember them all. Each was formed of an appetizer, salad, entre, and dessert. Each meal used replacements for the starches normally served. Some of the items included escargot, ahi tuna, crab, lobster, chicken, pork tenderloin, and steak. Each portion proper in size.

All of this said, my last A1C was 5.8, and I have been without meds since 2009

glucerna replied to betatoo's response:
You're making me hungry! Seriously, it's fantastic that you have found a way to enjoy eating great-tasting food and at the same time manage blood sugar levels. Even on a cruise! ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.