Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What's your opinion?
feelinghigh posted:
Have any of you heard of Doug Kaufmann??? What is your opinion of his claim to cure TYPE I Diabetes???? I personally don't agree with him and in my opinion it is a very dangerous thing for type I's to do.

I have (don't we all) friends that try to "cure" us but, seems like the ones that try to cure us have their own health problems....and they can't seem to find their own cure!!! This really raises my blood pressure when I get on this subject!!!!

abcat2000 responded:
I have not heard of him, and tried to do a little research, but am too lazy. Can you summarize what he says? .

smip responded:
You know.. ANYONE that claims to have found the cure to type 1 diabetes and it's not SPLATTERED all over the news.. then it's not a cure.. and it's someone trying to rip you off and possibly kill you in the process.

feelinghigh responded:
He is a TV Health Show Host and Investigative Nutritionist.

He says that Type I diabetes is a more complex issue but, Type II is completely curable through proper diet and exercise. Then goes on to say that antifungal drugs seem to reverse Type I diabetes. He has at the end of his book the natural remedies and diet plans to reverse ALL kinds of diseases.

Give me a break!!! If I (and everyone else) thought this would work wouldn't we all be on the wagon!!!

feelinghigh responded:
I agree with you smip!

fretless responded:
I generally agree with smip, but would also say that the best place to find out about research and the progress being made is in the diabetes magazines like the JDRF magazine. It is all about the research being done on all aspects of the disease.

In the defense of the (most probably) quack, though, we all need to understand the nature of medical research and the government process. Truth be told, if a cure was discovered in a lab today, it would not be available for us for a decade or more. It takes a long time to go through all the necessary animal testing and limited human trials before anything is approved for general use. So there is a very slim chance that this guy may have found something, but is talking before all the testing has been done, so it has not made headlines yet. Of course, I still think he's most likely a quack trying to make money off of people who are willing to grasp at hope, no matter how farfetched.

luckylyn11 replied to smip's response:
As living proof that Type 2 can be controlled by the Doug Kaufmann diet you people that spout off about need to actually
study what and why Dougs diet works and pull in your horns!
He does not say its a cure but diabetes can be controlled with the right diet..
I have lost 38 pounds in the last 80 days and the sugar is in the 98-145 range every day on absolutely no meds.

mrscora01 replied to luckylyn11's response:
Luckylyn, not all diabetics are created equal. Many believe that Type 2 is actual a spectrum of disorders. If you have found something that works for you, great! But don't expect everyone to be identical. Many have different levels of beta cell function and have other medical conditions. There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all treatment regime for diabetes.

And almost 40 pounds in 80 days?Many medical professionals would not consider that either safe, or sustainable for the long term. Best of luck maintaining it.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peanut butter and ways to cut carbs
eat p'nut butter on celery sticks, real, fresh carrot sticks, fresh zucchini sticks. Eat tuna, and other proteins wrapped in Romaine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 14 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.