Skip to content
New future cure for T2 insulin resistance
betatoo posted:
The articles that are appearing now about nicotinamide mononucleotide a natural compound in the body appear to be very promising. Even though this is a long ways off, it may point the way to a one pill solution, taken much like a daily vitamin.
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

DoloresTeresa responded:
There already is a cure for insulin resistance. Lots of exercise (which drives the sugar into the cells and overcomes resistance) and eliminating fat from the diet. Fat gunks up the "lock" in the cell that insulin is supposed to use to open the cell to let in the glucose. Just what the world needs. Another pill.

Dolores

betatoo replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I really hope you read the article Delores. Also, if you know anything of me you would know of my own journey to stay pill/drug free. I am an un medicated T2 with "normal" numbers due to diet and exercise.

DoloresTeresa replied to betatoo's response:
I read the article beta. It looks to me like the low fat or no fat gurus like Esselstyn and McDougall are right about the dangers of fat. It seemed from the article that it is fat that causes the problem and millions will be spent in research and drug trials not to mention diabetics spending money on whatever pill they come up with when all they have to do is eliminate fat in the diet. You would think that people with Ph.D's would recognize this but there is no research grant money in it. (and obviously you are doing something right. you won't need the pill.)

Dolores

betatoo replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I got T2 without the weight, the family history, or other indicators. I was, and am active(more so now), but for some reason got it anyway. It is a progressive disease so I don't know if I'll be able to hold the line. Some day I may need a pill that works, without a bunch of side effects.

Anon_4858 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Not all t2 diabetics are so because of their diet or weight. It wouldnt matter how much they work out or how little to no fat they eat, they'll still have insulin resistance. Sometimes medications are the answer when nothing else will help. Not all researchers are evil, nor are all drug makers scammers.

auriga1 replied to Anon_4858's response:
I, too, "got" T2 without the weight. As a matter of fact, underweight. Unfortunately, my mother was the exact same way.

Use two insulins to stay "normal." I had no fat to get the insulin resistance, yet my pancreas decided to quit on me.

Really aggravating not to have any body fat and still get diabetes dependent on exogenous insulin.

DoloresTeresa replied to auriga1's response:
Halle Berry was diagnosed as a type 1 and was on insulin for years. The doctors never even considered she might be type 2 because of her age and her weight (very thin). She said recently that she got herself off insulin. This would mean a cure for t1 which we do not have yet. It turned out she is a type two--a very strange type 2. There is also something called 1and 1/2 which is another strange illness--doesn't follow the usual patterns. Thin type 2's are rare and I have no doubt are still a puzzle to the medical community.

Dolores

auriga1 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Yes, my sugars started going up in my late 30's. I was just told to watch my diet despite being thin. Then in my late 40's that is when my sugars hit the roof, so to speak.

Yes, I do believe it's still a puzzle regarding 1.5 diabetes. My doctor says I'm in between, but that's not a diagnosis that appears in any ICD 9's (coding books.) So they classified me as a Type 2, insulin dependent because of the age factor. My doctor told me he thinks I have no functioning pancreatic beta cells. Not much I can do about getting those back.

nutrijoy replied to auriga1's response:
I, too, have been classified as a Type 1.5 and I am not considered overweight,was just measured at 14.5% body fat (using calipers with tests repeated 3 times over multiple body areas), do not have a belly, love handles or muffin top. However, like yourself, my beta cells just don't produce sufficient insulin (probably none by now). However, I do use insulin judiciously, exercise regularly, carefully regulate my carb intake, and have been rewarded with an A1c that measured 5.0 shortly after my return from the Far East (my previous A1c was 5.2 taken six months prior). That was a bit surprisingly as I did experience a few high B.S. readings during my trip as the result of over-indulging in some of the 5-Star buffets that I had been invited to (yes, I do know better but sometimes the social environment and plentiful food selections will tempt even the most conservative diner.

I recently finished reading Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. I did not eat any grain or wheat products while touring Asia and was able to eat considerably more fruit that I ever do here in the States. To be rewarded with an A1c of 5.0 makes me wonder if there's merit to Dr. Davis's claims that "modern wheat" is the major factor in obesity. I will provide a review of his book in a future thread but in the interim, do encourage everyone to read Dr. Davis's interesting viewpoints.

DoloresTeresa replied to auriga1's response:
I do not see how a pill that reduces insulin resistance is going to help a thin diabetic or a T1.5 because their problem doesn't seem to be insulin resistance.

Dolores

mhall6252 responded:
There is nothing wrong with a pill that solves a problem that is at epidemic proportions.

Yes, some people "earn" their Type 2 with bad diets obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle. But that is not true of everyone who is diagnosed.
Michelle
Diabetic since 5/2001
Follow my journey at www.mch-breastcancer.blogspot.com
Smile and the world smiles with you.

brunosbud responded:
"Cure" by a pill?

The lack of nicotinamide mononucleotide is just the smoking gun...

"Cure"?...OK, sure...

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
Lots of pro and con about this research, as I look at it, there is one more piece to the puzzle to put in place. For oh so long I have believed that the more we learn the less we know. There is not really a simple solution to T2 that is why there are so many approaches to control. In the end new knowledge is not a bad thing if it helps reach understanding and a cure.

brunosbud replied to betatoo's response:
An hour into "The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo", I sat in the dark theater muttering, "Trailers...When will I ever learn?..."

See levodopa and Parkinson's...

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.