Skip to content
Google Crafting Contact Lenses for Diabetes
atti_editor posted:
Jan. 17, 2014 -- Google is working on contact lenses with special sensors to monitor diabetes blood sugar levels. The lens measures blood sugar levels in tears using a tiny wireless chip and miniature blood-sugar sensor embedded between two layers of soft contact lens material.

Click the link above for more information.

What do you think about this latest wearable technology? Would you buy a pair to monitor your blood sugar levels?

-Atti
Was this Helpful?
2 of 8 found this helpful

davedsel2 responded:
I do not think that monitoring blood sugar levels is a problem. Most glucose meters are reasonably priced, and the strips are not too badly priced in most cases. It is fairly easy to test and causes only minimal pain for most people.

IMHO, more research money needs to go towards educating people how to control their diabetes.

I had cataract surgery two years ago and no longer need corrective lenses - just reading glasses. Before that, I was very near-sighted and wore glasses for 46 years. I could just not wear contact lenses despite trying different types many times. I am not sure how many diabetics wear contact lenses.

Bottom line is that I feel the money for this research has not been spent on the appropriate area.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears replied to davedsel2's response:
Since I currently do not wear contact lenses this option would not be for me.

I'll to the usual pinprick of the finger cost less and won't irritate my eyes.

auriga1 responded:
No, not for me. I can't wear contact lenses, not any kind. Have tried for years. The longest I could wear any lense was four hours still causing dry and swollen corneas.

Foreign object in the eye is not pleasant. Anywhere else on the body, maybe.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.