Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Adults With Diabetes Need a Flu Shot: Experts
atti_editor posted:
FRIDAY, Jan. 24, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Adults with diabetes are vulnerable to flu and its complications, experts say. Now a large new study finds they're also at higher risk of being hospitalized for flu.
The study, which focused on people aged 18 to 64, provides support for guidelines advising people with diabetes to get a flu shot , the Canadian researchers said.

Click on the link above to learn more.

Have you gotten your flu shot?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel2 responded:
Dear "atti_editor",

It would be very helpful if we knew who you are. Are you a WebMD employee? Why are you posting these articles? At this point you are still unknown to us in this community and to be frank, I am leery of your motives. Please let us know more about you.

Thank you very much.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

flutetooter replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave, I clicked on "atti_editor"'s picture and can tell you for certain that it is a person with a light blue round head (no features) and a darker blue oval torso. It looks dependable, and yet... I sort of agree with your assessment. lol
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 responded:
I will now reply to the subject. Every time I have gotten a flu shot I have gotten extremely ill with the flu. My doctor finally said that this does happen to some people and I am no longer a candidate for the flu vaccine. That is simply my experience, where I'm sure others do benefit each year.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrscora01 replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave, I know a couple of folks with autoimmune issues (Iga Nephropathy) that find a worsening of their condition whenn they get a flu shot. They don't take it either. Luckily, you folks are in the minority and most of us do well with it.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

nutrijoy replied to davedsel2's response:
I have only taken one (1) flu shot in my entire 72 years of life and that was when I was taking care of my mother and the visiting nurse insisted on giver her the vaccine. She gave me one during the same visit. Aside from that single, solitary occasion, I have never had another flu shot. I have also not caught a cold or the flu for over thirty-five (35) years until the 3rd quarter of last year. I finally caught a cold — an extremely virulent strain — but got over it in less than 5 days (compared with the relative that I was visiting who took over three weeks to get over his). My streak of flu-less years remains unbroken.

In any event, if you read the article cited in the thread, it stated that the "higher risk" factor for diabetics was elevated by a mere 6%; that's hardly anything to get excited about. There's a natural alternative that seems to work for a large segment of the population and that's simply vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin. Here's an article that supports the taking of vitamin D to ward off rhino viruses but I find that high dose vitamin D actually bolsters the entire immune system. There are plenty of articles online that suggest that it also helps in diabetes (just Google it or use whatever search engine you prefer). The research is "iffy," however, and you can find articles both pro and con such as the two articles that I hyperlinked (both the pro and con articles are hosted on WebMD).

Bottom line? If you have a strong immune system, you might want to experiment a little. Some doctors (like my own endo) actively encourages it but only for patients like me who don't have any other serious health issues. Other doctors are super cautious and advise against taking or doing anything that is affiliated with the word "natural" or "holistic." I won't give any medical advice as to what you should do. However, I can tell you what I do (it has worked for me for over 35 years until the single slippage that I experienced in 4th quarter 2013 and that was a cold, not the flu). I take a 2000 IU capsule of vitamin D3 with each meal three times a day (T.I.D.). That provides me with a total of 6,000 IU daily from the vitamin D3 capsules alone. However, I also get additional vitamin D from my daily multivitamin, calcium supplement, and food - making the total amount of daily vitamin D supplementation somewhere in the 7,000 IU to 8,000 IU range. To guard against overdosing (100ng/ml is the safe upper limit), I get an annual 25-hydroxy vitamin D test done every year. My personal target goal is 80 ng/ml but my blood tests have ranged from 67 ng/ml to as high as 83 ng/ml over the past six or seven years. I have also suffered from lifelong asthma but it has been in almost total remission since my vitamin D levels have climbed above the >60ng/ml level. Flu vaccine? I personally don't seem to need it but each person has different issues and responses so do what works for you (and, of course, consult with your own physician).

Flute, I enjoyed your description of atti_editor's photo. We must be twins or, at the very least, long lost cousins.

atti_editor replied to davedsel2's response:
Hi Dave, flutetooter, Cora, nutrijoy, and all of the Diabetes Community members out there,

I am a recent addition to the WebMD Community Team. I apologize for my non-descript "light blue round head" (I thought you looked familiar nutrijoy) I will be updating it shortly .
I am looking forward to being your moderator and getting to know all of the great members who post here! You will probably see me across the WebMD boards posting links to related news and resources and popping in to say "hello." I am here to assist you in any way possible, so please feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions.

Best wishes,
Atti

mrscora01 replied to atti_editor's response:
Hi atti. Thanks for letting us know who you are. I didn't realize that WebMD had reinstated moderators. Do you have any diabetes/medical experience or is this simply a service of providing us with potentially relevant articles based on disease?

Thanks.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

davedsel2 replied to atti_editor's response:
Welcome! I had a suspicion you may be a moderator. I am thrilled to see that WebMD has started to employ moderators for their communities again. This is an essential part of having a forum that is safe and enjoyable.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears responded:
As much as I'd like to get the flu shot - I can not - many years ago I got one and I ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks. I got extremely sick from it - they said I was allergic to the kind they gave me and to never get it again.

To date I have never had the flu ever but I do get bronchitis every year. Due to my lung condition.

Atti - welcome aboard it is nice to have a moderator back, the ones we had are surely missed. Debbie

betatoo replied to debs_bears's response:
I haven't had a flu shot in over 35 years. I got sick way back, hives, sore muscles, upset stomach. Decided then that if it meant the flu or shot, I'd take the flu. I have had pneumonia shots several years in a row, but no side effects. I was getting pneumonia every time I got a cold so when Dr. mentioned I said ok.

debs_bears replied to betatoo's response:
Betatoo I thought we only need the pneumonia shot every 5 yrs?

I wonder since I get bronchitis every year thanks to my lung condition if I should check into getting the P shot more often?

betatoo replied to debs_bears's response:
Don't know that but I had them 3 yrs in a row.

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, my doc said the same thing - pneumonia shot every five years. I'm overdue for mine.

I do get the flu shot every year with no side effects whatsoever. I have a compromised immune system (they don't know why.) As a matter of fact, I was told to cut down on my exercise regimen to five days or less. All the exercising was actually making me sick. Bronchitis, walking pneumonia, pneumonia twice. Hospitalized for the last bout with IV antibiotics. Bronchitis turned to pneumonia, filling both of my lungs with fluid. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

betatoo replied to auriga1's response:
First year I had it I had walking pneumonia. When I went to emergency room the dr told me I had two options either hospital or his extreme treatment. He said I was severely dehydrated and put me on a gurney with 2 liter of fluid by IV. He gave me a shot in the hip, and one in the arm. Follow up was a 14 day regimen of antibiotics. Next time I was told a week at home, given antibiotics again along with a cough syrup to bring fluid up, and put me down-codeine. Third time pretty much the same. After that the shots came 3 years in a row. Don't know exactly what, but dr believed at the time that my situation required measures that would build resistance. Last of the shots was about 5 years ago.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.