Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
FOODS TO EAT TO HELP CONTROL DIABETES
Greece posted:
Eat whole grains. What's so special about whole grains? They help control your blood sugar, reducing your risk of diabetes by 20% to 30%. People who eat a lot of whole grains tend to weigh less, too. Go for whole-wheat breads, brown rice, wild rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, barley, and rye.

After reading the above statement as suggested by doctor, how can a person with diabetes eat oatmeal, cornmeal, beans whole-wheat bread, and especially rice when these foods raise my sugar level SKY HIGH???
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful
FirstPrevious12NextLast

betatoo responded:
This is one of the fallacies of the diets recommended by the ADA up until 2010. They had not recognized the need for low carb diets in many individuals with T2. It is odd that many of us have been following a low carb/starch diet for a long time to help control our disease without meds. Some day the Dr.s will catch up, mine has.

brunosbud responded:
Good question...Complex carbs high in fiber are not only highly nutritious, they're essential in maintaining energy level throughout the day. My 3 rules to controlling diabetes are...
1. Eat whole, eat healthy, and be vigilant of sugar, salt, oil and fat intake (red meat & dairy)
2. Establish strict routines (exercise, sleep) and everyday essentials (water, basic staples) and be consistent.
3. Move your body throughout the day to manage stress.
4. Be happy and grateful for your life and look to help others.

I don't take meds. I may have to,eventually, but I'll fight it tooth and nail.

flutetooter responded:
Whole grains are better than "Wonder Bread" for vitamins, nutrients, and fiber, but NO better for diabetics than white bread as far as total carbs go, and worse if the slices are extra heavy, according to recent studies. Even my diet books, including diets for diabetics, written by well-known doctors usually include a one sentence disclaimer like "Be sure not to exceed your daily and meal carb limit!". Also many doctors allow a very low limit of total grams of carbs per meal if that is what it takes to keep a person's blood sugar in the normal range without continously raising the meds or insulin, and many allow NO grains at all, because the amount of nutrition per carb is less than with green leafy and low starch veggies. In other words - a lot of empty calories per volume of food intake.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Exactly as my dietician said, flute. She saw how my body reacted to carbs and wanted me to limit to 35-45 grams per meal. Sticking with the veggies, you get a whole lot more to eat. You stick in the breads, pastas, rice, etc. that 35-45 looks like nothing. May satisfy a craving, then raise your BS sky high. You have to ask yourself is it worth it? Not in my case. If I don't have to take my mealtime insulin, better for me. LOL.

I have found out through this course of the disease that even the 35-45 grams of carbs per meal is even too much.

I work a senior luncheon and many of these people are diabetics. I hear talking all the time. One gentleman today mentioned that he had to take more medicine because his doctor wasn't happy with his A1C of 7.2. His doctor told him if you are not going to do anything about it, I'm giving you more medicine. The "anything" was move around more. Such a pity. He's healthy and capable and would rather take more medicine rather than put in any more effort in being active. I just don't know what to say to people with this kind of thinking.

The lunch today was way too many carbs for any diabetic and in my own humble opinion, for anyone. A sandwich (two slices of bread), potato salad, corn and apricots. Everyone ate like there is no tomorrow. I know I can't be policing people's choices no matter how much I would love to. The whole meal was practically a carb fest. "It's cheap and I gotta eat."

I better stop. LOL.

betatoo replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga,
I heartily agree with you about 35-45 being too many carbs. I get all of my carbs from veggies except for the one piece of rye toast in the mornings. I have found that I can't eat 35-45 carbs in veggies. Since I don't do root veggies or grains things like broccoli and others take a BIG bowl to fill me with some protein. In the end I have become more satisfied with this sort of meal over a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

auriga1 replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, what I found strange is that these dieticians start most diabetic patients off with 45-60 grams of carbs per meal. That is the set standard. Huh??? LOL.

I was aggravated at first at diagnosis when I started measuring and weighing. That 35-45 grams of carbs is nothing when you look at it. Found out quickly that you get the most "bang" for your "buck" if you switch to non-starchy veggies and ignore the rest of all the carbs. For me anyway. I so love fruit and miss it the most. I just eat mostly berries. My fave snack is plain Greek yogurt mixed with fresh blackberries. I tried to do it as a meal but that didn't last. Not enough calories to last me to the next meal.

BTW, spaghetti and meatballs was always at the bottom of my list for any kind of meal. Never did like it. Rarely ate any kind of pasta even before diagnosis. Couldn't stand potatoes either unless you added the most caloric additions possible. The more fat, the better. That way you couldn't taste the potato. LOL.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1 I did get a chuckle out of your comment about the Greek yogurt - "you tried to make it a meal but it didn't last".

I thought that is what I have to do - I eat one for a meal then 2 hrs later I eat a salad. I have to eat small amts of food every 2 hrs to keep for going low. My stomach doesn't allow me to eat a large meal in one sitting unless it is 2 Tbs of this and 2 Tbs of that.

Proof is in the pudding as they say - every bodies body is different - we all have to eat accordingly. I had to keep a log of my carbs now because I have to limit they to no more than a 100 a day. And still keep from going low quite a balancing act.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

auriga1 replied to Debsbears's response:
It certainly is a balancing act, Deb. Eat this with that so you don't go low. I don't have any digestive issues like you do.

That yogurt and berries lasted about an hour before I felt the "hunger" set in. If I had been working at the time, I probably would have gone low. Not enough carbs if I had been active. Pain in the you know what.

Debsbears replied to auriga1's response:
I hear ya.
I shall wait upon the Lord and renew my strength.

Justified replied to betatoo's response:
I agree with betatoo, as I also, am insulin free. I found out I had type 2 diabities July 2013. I went from shots to insulin pills to NO insulin. I lost 35 pounds so far, stopped smoking, exercise and eat right. Very little carbs and if I eat them, I eat natural carbs, fruit, etc.

The only way to be insulin free is eat right and exercise....Go Figure!

kimm2 responded:
A person's diet should be 45-65% carb. As a Diabetes Educator I generally put all my patients on about 45% unless pregnant then it is less. You can eat grains it is all about choosing slow digesting/high fiber choices and controlling portions. Most people need between 30-60g per meal depending on sex/age/ht/wt and activity. A Diabetic diet is lower carb than an average American diet but it is not a low carb diet in the traditional sense. You need 130g of carb daily just to fuel your brain. Carbs should come from grains, starchy vegetables, milk/yogurt and fruit primarily with lots of non starchy veggies. Its all about balanced eating, portion sizes and carb counting. And controlling weight and exercising. Those are biggies as well.

betatoo replied to kimm2's response:
Sorry, but I have been there, and done that! The 130 g of carbs in a day would have me on medication in two weeks. I am not saying that I do not eat carbs, just get my carbs from much higher servings of veggies, very little grain, and no white starches. I have experimented extensively with glycemic index and load, starch components and other carbs. Final conclusion was that I could not handle the concentrated levels of carbohydrate in starches.
I did not start this on a whim. When diagnosed my DR told me to drop all white. A few months later he told me he did not think I would ever need meds as long as I continued to do whatever I was doing. Change now? Not on my life!

Georgiaboy replied to auriga1's response:
auriga1, when I found out that I have T2 doctor sent me to see a dietitian. Put me on a 45 carb diet. Told me I can have all the vegies and meat I want. Nice. But I cracked a smile when I saw the yogurt. I found one that I really like. It's called Carb Master. Has four carbs to it and three grams of sugar. It's put out by Kroger. Talked to the dietitian and he was happy I found it. Said perfect for me. But I've cut out a lot of things also. I do have a sandwich 100% whole grain for lunch. Got these wheat tortillias that are very low carbs and sugars. Throw a couple small pieces of ham and egg into it and can use that as breakfast or dinner. I have my fruit consiting of two strawberries quartered, a tad bit of blackberries and blueberries. Good to go. I've gone from 229.4 in July of 2012 when I first found out to 179.2 as of last Friday. BS fluxes but still within a good range. Think the max lately was 137 but that was two hours after eating also.Took reading just for the heck of it. But mostly form the middle nineties to maybe a max of 113 or 118 depending. Sometimes hovers in the 105 ranges. But all in all much better than when I first found out. Both the doctor and dietitian have been happy with me. Still on my meds. Took a long time to get the wife to see the reasoning behind my measuring and counting. At first she just couldn't get through that part. But now at times she'll fix something for me and I can her her counting 1,2,3...15. And she don't cheat me either. Well, a couple times she's short changed me but mostly pretty good on the count. Been lucky so far. Just hope to remain so and not give up. All of us knows what a pain it is to watch everything we put in our fork/spoons. And the times we look at something with our mouths watering. But in the long run worth the will power. Right? And like my dietitian told me, Mrs. Dash has become a great friend of mine when time for cooking. Goes good on eggs, meat etc. But DO NOT PUT IN GRITS!!!! Grits just don't taste right with Mrs. Dash in them in place of salt. So have given up the grits.

auriga1 replied to kimm2's response:
Sorry, but my dietician and diabetes educator started me out at 35 grams of carbs per meal. 15 grams for snack. Never snack. I was started at that number because my A1C was 13.2 with an everyday a.m. fasting between 250 and 300.

Understand carbs are fuel for the brain, but there are some of us that cannot handle carbs well. Not everyone is the same and the pat standard does not sit well with me.

If I ate that many carbs, I'd be injecting insulin like there is no tomorrow.

I am physically active due to work 20 hours a week. I still need to take insulin. Agreed that maintaining a proper weight and being physically active is essential when dealing with diabetes.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.