Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Carbohydrate requirment
An_255764 posted:
What are the min. and max amounts of carbs allowed for a 75 year old 140lb man in a day/meal? How is this subdivided into grains, milk ,fruits and vegetables?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

flutetooter responded:
Oh my! Every article about diabetes has an author who will SELL you a wonderful plan (in his opinion) telling you how many berries to eat, and whether to put soy milk, or almond milk, or full cream, or skim milk on them. Some plans allow all kinds of fats, some are heavy on pasta and deserts, , some are vegan, etc.

In other words, it depends on what your goals are, how much math and research you are willing to do, what your weight and A1c and fasting sugars are, what meds you are on, and how much exercise your are willing to do daily to burn up those calories and sugars. It also depends on whether are you type 1 (insulin dependant) or type 2. Ask you doctor for a plan and at the same time start doing ressearch on your own. My A1c is 5.8 and I eat only 80-100 grams (not servings) of all carbohydrates a day unless I exercise heavily. I am a 75 yr. old femal, 137 lbs. Most of my diabetic friends eat a lot more and take more medicines and don't worry. Start by clicking on any of the information by our site mentor, Dr. Dansinger, upper rightcorner.

Note to you: This is a discussion question, not a tip. There is no information from you that we can check whether or not it was helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 responded:
Flute has given you excellent advice, as always. I would add that you really need to ask this question of a registered dietician, nutritionist or certified diabetes educator. This is a support community for diabetes and health care professionals rarely reply to posts anymore.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
Flute you're absolutely right that there is no set amount of carbohydrate per meal or snack that works for each person. The most recent guidelines don't give specific carbohydrate recommendations, and instead encourage people to eat an overall healthy diet that helps manage blood sugar levels as well as cardiovascular health. An_255764 keep a food log for a week, writing down the time you eat as well as what you eat and drink and the amounts. Take this to a registered dietitian and she'll use that, plus information on your health, medications, and blood sugar levels and help you come up with a meal plan that works well for you. ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo responded:
I have said it often here, but will repeat it again. Carbohydrates are not the problem. Most foods that are healthy, and good for you have carbohydrates.
However, when you look at the category of starches: breads, pastas, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, rices, and other starches you start to realize that these are concentrated carbohydrates. Many of the white starches will go to glucose in the system within 30 minutes of ingestion. Brown and orange will be absorbed more slowly and over time, however large servings of them will amount to higher blood glucose readings over a longer period of time.
So the limiting of the starches, and the increased intake of a variety of foods that contain carbohydrates which includes a wide variety of vegetables of all colors will improve your carbohydrate absorption, and your glucose numbers.
I find it difficult to understand why a proven technique used in the late 1800's to control diabetes T2 is has been ignored until lately. Our own ADA did not recognize a low carb diet until 2011. At the same time there is the confusion that exists by experts saying that at any time a T2 can take control and move to lower meds, or no meds. On the other end are the experts that say no matter what everyone with T2 will be on medication! Duhhhhh!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

normal reading
My Dr. said I have diabetes my a1c level is 6.5 and wants me to take Metformin 500mg. I took my bs test and it was 103 after I ate. I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.