Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
This worked for my leg pain..
liladieni posted:
I suffer from chronic leg pain, bothering me mostly at night when I am trying to go to sleep. My legs ache and burn and have an irresistible urge to move a times. This pain is in my feet and ankles as well as my calves. I have been told I have neuropathy as well as restless leg syndrome and fibromyalgia. Sometimes it is nearly impossible to get to sleep because of this pain.

However, my indigent care physicians have a policy against prescribing pain meds, and do not cover referrals for pain management. I cannot take any over the counter pain med other than Tylenol because of being on some other medications. I have spent many many sleepless nights because I had no way to deal with the pain.

So, I started doing some reading on home remedies for chronic pain, and found an article, I don't remember where, that recommended compression socks for chronic leg pain. I ok'ed it with my doctor and got a pair to try and see if I could find some relief.

Miracle of miracles, my pain for the past week has been under control. Not entirely gone, but quite manageable. Estimating, I would say 75 percent of my nighttime leg pain has been relieved and I can now, most nights anyway, fall asleep without breaking into tears of pain and frustration.

Please remember, compression stockings, while they require no prescription, are still a medical device. If you think you would like to try them please PLEASE check with your doctor first.
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

bigred53 responded:
It's great to see you posting! I'm glad you've found something that works for your leg pain.

I have mild neuropathy in my feet and when my sugar levels are in range I don't notice it. But, what I have too many carbs I really feel it and that reminds me to stop the food madness and take control of myself. I also take Alpha Lipoic Acid which also seems to help.

Michelle

hootyowl2 responded:
I had a PA once, who kept misdiagnosing my leg pain and refused to acknowledge that I had diabetic neuropathy. He RXd compression stockings. They caused far more pain for me, and turned my legs dark purple, so I quit using them. I finally went to my neuro, and she dx'd the neuropathy. I had no relief before she put me on meds for it.

If anyone does want to try them, BE CERTAIN TO CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. The ones I had said they were NOT for diabetics, and people with circulation issues.

Hooty

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

food that helps dibeties
Try raw vegetable. Blend raw veggies that are complex carbs. Complex take a long time to be converted into glocose. They are filling and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.