Skip to content
Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
nutrijoy posted:
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses to those ancient threads by visitors that are new to the site. Veteran members are often reluctant to reply or simply inform the new member that they have posted to an inactive discussion. This can sometimes cause embarrassment to the new member and they leave, never to return. Some technology sites that I frequent have addressed this problem by simply deactivating the [Reply> button on posts that are older than 90/180 days (depending on the site). Other sites display a popup message when the [Reply> button is clicked to alert the visitor that the thread is an old, inactive one. I would like to make two suggestions to site moderators:
1. Change the heading from [POPULAR> discussions to [ARCHIVED> discussions (that alone could clear up the confusion).
2. Enable a link on the [Reply> button that will warn the potential poster that the thread is more than xxx number of days old; perhaps something like this:

Let's work together on improving the usefulness of the forums instead of just chugging along ... preserving the status quo. We see enough of that already in some "common wisdom" recommendations that often fail to yield anything that is genuinely useful to the one making the inquiry.

To the handful of members who wear their feelings on their shirt sleeves (you know who you are), please don't misinterpret this as a criticism of the site. It is only a suggestion for potential improvement as the forums seem to have declined from its former glory. Uncontrolled diabetes can be a progressively degenerative disease but the forums do not have to follow suit.
Was this Helpful?
4 of 9 found this helpful

debs_bears responded:
NurtiJoy I belong to another site for my ostomy and they also have implemented "this discussion is closed, it is 90 days old". So we can not post to that post but asked to start a new discussion.

I would like the see the same here. I you said at post could be 4 yrs old and the original posted no longer comes here so they would never answer the new comment. Debbie
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

flutetooter responded:
nutrijoy, I love the last idea -- that Forums do not have to follow suit ( in the progressively degenerative nature of uncontrolled diabetes)and be "progressively degenerative" also (my interpretation of your words). I learned a lot from the posts here when I first started dealing with my pre-diabetes.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

mrscora01 responded:
You've got my vote. I'm also familiar with the warning of "this thread is XX days old, you may reply, but..."

I also agree that boards often become old and decrepit, but they don't have to. We, in part, keep it fresh. But it is also the format and useful it is that keeps things going. I think it's a good idea to get rid of the "popular" topics. They will remain popular if people continue to post (without the prompt) and remain helpful. rather than gargantuan and cumbersome.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

auriga1 responded:
You definitely have my vote, Flute. That is a wonderful idea.

I do not know about anyone else, but I do not even look at these old discussions any longer, even though someone has posted something new. It's a "shame on me," because I would actually like to help someone if I could.

Thanks for putting this out there.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 148 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.