Skip to content
SGLT2 Inhibitor effect
10stroy posted:
I just read an excellent discussion of SGLT2 inhibitors on DiabetesJournals.org, and felt motivated to pass on a heads-up on a possible unanticipated consequence of taking the drug. This is my 30th month in a clinical trial for one of these drugs, and have been gratified with the resultant control. Although it is a blind trial with either their drug or a similar drug, it is pretty obvious I am on an inhibitor. My urine glucose is off the chart as expected. last year I had a TURP operation for benign prostate enlargement, after which I continued my diabetes meds. After a month I was still bleeding to the point where I ended up in the emergency room with a complete urinary blockage. They operated to try to cauterize and control the bleeding, and my urologist said that it looked surprisingly like there had been NO healing. My wife who used to be in medical research suggested that with the off the chart glucose level in my urine, could it be interfering with the healing. The doctor thought it probable, and I went off the inhibitor. This time there was rapid healing, and a normal post-op recovery. A month later I resumed the med regimen. This is of course a data point of one, but thought you might be interested.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.