Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nuts and Diabetes
engineerguy posted:
Hi folks,

From the lead article on www.diseaseproof.com , about Nuts

...the Nurses' Health Study found a 27% reduced risk of diabetes in nurses who ate five or more servings of nuts per week. Among nurses who already had diabetes, this same quantity reduced the risk of heart disease by 47%.21-23

21. Jiang R, Manson JE, Stampfer MJ, et al: Nut and peanut butter consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes in women. JAMA 2002;288:2554-2560.
www.pubmed.com/12444862

22. Kendall CW, Esfahani A, Truan J, et al: Health benefits of nuts in prevention and management of diabetes. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2010;19:110-116.
www.pubmed.com/20199995

23. Li TY, Brennan AM, Wedick NM, et al: Regular consumption of nuts is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease in women with type 2 diabetes. J Nutr 2009;139:1333-1338.
www.pubmed.com/19420347
Entire article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2696988/?tool=pubmed

Best regards, EngineerGuy

jc3737 responded:
Add these studies to the other 30 or so we have seen in the past 5 years.The data firmly supports nuts.

DoloresTeresa responded:
Ok So the studies say that nuts reduce heart disease risk in diabetic women. But you will find studies that say that olive oil reduces a RISK FACTOR for heart disease but esselstyn says it clogs the arteries nevertheless.

What bothers me is that Atkins said his diet lowered blood sugar levels in diabetics and that it was the best diet for diabetes. Yet he found out that diabetics on his diet "adjusted" (his quotes) to his diet (read--it didn't work after a while) He then added grains to a diabetic's diet. What probably happened is that although their sugars seemed low, they were becoming more and more insulin resistant from all the fat in the diet even though they lost weight. How can I be sure that while nuts are lowering blood sugars they are not causing the increase in insulin resistance.

Atkins told people who were going to have a glucose tolerance test to go off his diet for a week before otherwise they would test diabetic. I wonder what happens when a diabetic who eats nuts has a glucose tolerance test?

Dolores

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
I did not know Atkins told his people to get off his deit before GT test.I don't think a few nuts would affect the test one way or another unless you ate a whole package or a jar of peanut butter.

But that fits in with Neal Barnards idea that fat in the cells inhibits the function of insulin.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.