Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Calorie level
Tomato05 posted:
I often read of the "magic" level of calories of 1200 (for women) for weight loss, and the nutritionists like to warn one not to go below that.

Well, I do not lose weight on 1200 calories - in fact, that's where I maintain my weight. No explanation - that's just the way my body is, and I accept that. I am quite short (5"2) and not all that young (47).

Surely one can eat quite well on 900 or 1000 cal (which is where I want to be to start losing weight) - if you eat really nutrient-dense food and maybe take a supplement or two?

jc3737 responded:
Have you tried the Fuhrman/McDougall diet to see if it helps you lose weight?

Its worth trying for a week or two but you will need to follow it to the letter.

Tomato05 replied to jc3737's response:
I don't think that's for me - starchy food like potatoes, rice, bread, etc. make me feel sluggish and foggy.

Plus I need dairy (I have a high degree of osteoporosis) and feel "weak" on a diet without fish, meat, eggs and poultry. I also had an iron deficiency before, and remember the fatigue!

I prefer a diet based on veg, meat/fish/poultry, eggs, moderate amounts of dairy and legumes, a little healthy fat. (Plus I eat a far amount of candy - bad, I know).

Then too, I've been travelling a lot (recently to various countries in Asia, off to Tanzania next week, to South Africa in Dec.). It's hard to follow a diet based on only certain foods if you travel a lot.

jc3737 replied to Tomato05's response:
From what you are saying it does not look like you understand the Fuhrman/McDougall diet.

Dairy may not benefit your bones at all and may even have the opposite effect.Sugar is off limits on most any healthy diet and can cause bone loss.

Why not try an experiment?.....learn about the diet and then give it a try for two weeks.You have nothing to lose and it may work for you but you won't know until you give it a try.

You will need to follow the diet 100% with no cheating to see if it works for you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.