Skip to content
High Fat diet promotes brain scarring
EngineerGuy posted:
Hi folks,

High Fat diet promotes brain scarring.

Rats were put on high fat diets, and brain inflammation and scarring was seen in the hypothalmus. Obese people were given an MRI, and indication was seen of the same thing.

The entire article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3248304/?tool=pubmed

I initially thought this would be great to promote the Fuhrman program, but perhaps not, on second thought. Perhaps overweight people would think that there is no use in trying now, since the damage is done, and permanent. The good news is that the damage is not permanent, in that people can and typically do regain their health and vitality with this program. THE BODY IS AN INCREDIBLE SELF HEALING MACHINE !!

Heretic, don't get apoplectic. The diets involved in the study, promoted obesity. Your diet, who knows what it promotes, but not obesity.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

DoloresTeresa responded:
Amazing!! With all that scarring H still sounds like he has all his marbles.

Dolores

Heretk replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Huh? What?

Heretk responded:
If high fat diet damages rats diet then how come that a high fat ketogenic diet does not damage epileptic childrens brains, but helps?

The telltale sign that something has gone wrong with their methodology are signs of inflammation. It could explain all the damage and also rats obesity. That should not normally happen with normal rats and on a normal high fat diet. What did they put in? Hydrogenated fat, anyone?

Stan (Heretic)

P.S.

More links

DoloresTeresa replied to Heretk's response:
All children who have epilepsy which is not helped by drugs do not do well on the ketogenic diet. I do not remember the number who do but it is less than 50%. It is something I would try on my own child in a similar situation. I seem to remember that for those for whom it works, the diet is supposed to ameliorate the seizures after two years then the kids can go off the diet and the seizures do not return. It must be very hard for those poor kids to follow this diet. Also, they are put on the ketogenic diet only
reluctantly because there are a host of bad side effects from eating this way.

Regardless of what kind of fat they fed the rats, I am determined to never put my rats on a high fat diet. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.