Skip to content
Calorie restriction for longevity
Tomato05 posted:
Is calorie restriction (with optimal nutrition of course) still a valid approach if it means it could take you into the 'underweight zone'?

I find it hard to find specifics regarding calorie restriction, such as by what percentage are you supposed to restrict yourself (below calorie level needed for maintenance of weight)?

jc3737 responded:
I wonder if that applies to humans....calorie restriction extending life.

I have never seen any data.

Tomato05 replied to jc3737's response:
True, no long-term studies, but there have been short-term ones, like this one, which shows less oxidative stress, lower fasting insulin, reduced core body temperature, etc. (6-month study):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2692623/

And then there are the oh-so-often-quoted Okinawans of course. Various studies by BJ Willcox et al:

http://www.okicent.org/docs/jgbs_2004_59_789-795.pdf

jc3737 replied to Tomato05's response:
It seem slike it would be dufficult to put into practice....walking a fine line between calorie restriction and malnutrition.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
The Okinawans seem to be able to do it on a plant based diet with just a little fish or meat occasionally. They practice Hara hachi bu which I think means eat until you are 80% full. The traditional Okinawan diet was sweet potatoes and vegetables and the long lived Okinawans today who eat their traditional diet consume about 12 or 1300 calories. My own mother in law ate very abstemiously although was not concerned with the makeup of her diet and lived 5 months short of her 100th birthday.

However, whether you have to do this from youth and continue into old age or if you can start late in life is unanswered. With mice and rats they start calorie restriction after weaning.

Dolores

heretk replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Re: "just a little fish or meat occasionally"

Really?!

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
Well, according to a Blue Zone investigator I believe they eat a little less than an ounce of fish a day and about the same amount of tofu. A certain kind of sweet potato is their main starch. I will have to find the link to the videos I came across. I do not think the investigators were biased in reporting because they also studied a group of very long lived Sardinians one of whom said the only vegetarians in Sardinia were the goats! So the people who were doing these studies had no vegetarian axe to grind.

They also showed the Okinawans using rice bran oil in a stir fry of vegetables from their gardens.

I wonder if it comes down to which group of people the investigators pick to study. One thing is certain, those who eat a western diet and stray from the traditional diet, whatever that may be, are getting fat and sick.

Dolores

heretk replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Re: ... according to a Blue Zone investigator I believe they eat a little less than an ounce of fish a day and about the same amount of tofu.
Blue Zone is is only one guy's book (Dan Buettner). Compare that to this Japanese paper:

Nutr Health. 1992;8(2-3):165-75. Nutrition for the Japanese elderly., Shibata H,et al. [br>[br>Abstract quote:[br>[br>[blockquote>The present paper examines the relationship of nutritional status to further life expectancy and health status in the Japanese elderly based on 3 epidemiological studies. 1. Nutrient intakes in 94 Japanese centenarians investigated between 1972 and 1973 showed a higher proportion of animal protein to total proteins than in contemporary average Japanese. 2. High intakes of milk and fats and oils had favorable effects on 10-year (1976-1986) survivorship in 422 urban residents aged 69-71. The survivors revealed a longitudinal increase in intakes of animal foods such as eggs, milk, fish and meat over the 10 years. 3. Nutrient intakes were compared, based on 24-hour dietary records, between a sample from Okinawa Prefecture where life expectancies at birth and 65 were the longest in Japan, and a sample from Akita Prefecture where the life expectancies were much shorter. Intakes of Ca, Fe, vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and the proportion of energy from proteins and fats were significantly higher in the former than in the latter. Intakes of carbohydrates and NaCl were lower.[/blockquote>

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
H, I shuddered when I read about the high intakes of eggs and milk and meat. My grandfather died at 91. He ate lots of bread and onions, pasta with a very light marinara sauce and the meat he ate was mostly off the bone like chicken necks and chicken feet. His special treat at Easter was the head of a lamb and he made a special dish whose name in Italian I cannot spell consisting of cut up livers and other stuff from the inside of animals. He was in his eighties and walked a round trip of more than five miles to a field he knew of where dandelions grew which he picked and ate both cooked and raw and at certain times of the year he made dandelion wine. He also picked and ate poke weed whatever that is and tons of mushrooms. All free stuff.

I think my mother killed him. She was totally devoted to him and when he moved in with her she insisted on feeding him milk (which he didn't like and said made him sick but she got really clever at disguising it) and mayonnaise which he also didn't like but which she also managed to feed him as well as eggs--another thing he normally ate very little of.) In no time at all he had a stroke. He was born in 1887 and I think he would still be alive today hunting down wild dandelions if my mom didn't insist on "building him up".

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

Long-time fan of the Diet Debate-though infrequent contributor to the discussion.

Helpful Tips

Old Discussions
You can find some of the old discussions from the original diet debate board by looking up keywords or member names using the search on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.