Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
arthur de vany
DoloresTeresa posted:
Hey guys. I just read "The New Evolution Diet" by Arthur de Vany. He is 72 years old, looks great, is a body builder and eats lots and lots and lots of meat at each meal plus vegetables plus a few helpings now and again of winter squash. No starches. He claims this kind of eating controls insulin which is the cause of all the health problems like diabetes, heart disease etc.

He gives his results for HDL cholesterol which is 98, his LDL which is 92 and his triglycerides which if I remember correctly are around 70. He does not give his total cholesterol anywhere but if you do the calculations from the numbers he does give, you come up with a total cholesterol of 204. I do know that there are different kinds of HDL and not all of them are good.

For those of you who do believe that cholesterol does play a part in heart disease, do you think his numbers mean he is at low risk for heart disease even though his total cholesterol is 204. Does the high HDL and low LDL protect him? Also the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is low. (Or is the ratio the other way around?)

His c reactive protein level is very low. However, he does not give his fasting insulin level even though he gives other numbers and says you should be tested for fasting insulin because it is so important. Barry Sears says his own diet revolves around controlling insulin yet his small study neglects to show an improvement in insulin.

De Vany says in his book that he doesn't eat starches because they raise insulin yet does not seem to know that animal protein can raise insulin more than carbs. And he eats quite a bit of animal protein.

Any opinions?

Dolores

jc3737 responded:
In a blood test 2 yrs ago my fasting insulin was so low it was below the lower level of the range so I hope he is right about insulin,.....but I don't think he is.Around that time I was eating tons of nuts and my usual vegetables,but fewer starches than I eat now.

DoloresTeresa replied to jc3737's response:
I think he is right about insulin but wrong about eating meat and not eating starches to lower insulin. And if you are eating a lot of fat the pancreas will pour out even more insulin because fat prevents the insulin from getting the sugar into the cell. Atkins discovered this himself and didn't quite get why it was happening to his patients. His solution was to add grains to his diet but without getting rid of the fat and meat. Were you eating lots of meat when you had your insulin tested?

Dolores

Tomato05 responded:
Maybe his protein is from really lean sources (including very lean meat) - does he specify? Would that raise insulin too?

He doesn't believe in long or strenous cardio sessions. Being on a very low carb diet he could probably not do cardio for very long anyway, even if he wanted to. For weight lifting it is fine - you could get away with high protein/low carb.

That's been the thing that clashes with the diet I would ideally like to follow (very low carb) - I do a lot of exercise (e.g. run 13km at a time) and run out of oomph. Protein is not the best source of energy for endurance exercise.

Anyway, if he did more cardio he would likely lower his cholesterol. Not that a 72 year old should embark on running, but he could swim, cycle or walk at a pace for 30 min. that would leave him sweating and slightly out of breath.

jc3737 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
No meat at that time.More of a Fuhrman type diet,with lots of nuts and beans.

DoloresTeresa replied to Tomato05's response:
No, in his book he gives his menus and some of the meat is fatty. He also eats plenty of eggs and adds some fats to his diet. I found his book very interesting.

Dolores

Tomato05 replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Yes, I may buy his book too, because I like some of his tenets, not all of them though.

I wonder if he doesn't contradict himself sometimes. E.g. he says to eat only when one is hungry, yet he proposes sometimes to eat all your calories in a 6 - 8 hour window (not lower calories than usually). Surely that will mean eating without being hungry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Let's see.... I'm the mom of six (three hers, three mine) who used to live in Florida but now lives in the Chicago area. (Don't ask.) I&#...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.