Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Results of Dansinger's study
DoloresTeresa posted:
Please look at this study and tell me what you think. Dr. Dansinger is the expert on the web md diabetes support group. He did a study comparing Atkins, Zone, Weight Watchers and Ornish diets.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/293/1/43/T4.expansion.html

His thesis is that all diets control insulin when there is weight loss. I was also especially surprised that the Ornish diet lowered systolic blood pressure the least. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

This whole study surprised me. I believe the weight watchers diet is just the SAD with fewer calories. Also there are lots of people on the low carb diabetes support group who are eating low carb but report that their blood sugars are rising and who are on meds. Maybe they are eating too many calories and not losing weight.

Dolores

jc3737 responded:
I also wonder if wt loss is the main key....but then that does not fit my own experience.....when I go off the McDougall/fuhrman diet my blood glucose and BP both go up....but my weight is the same.

i'm going to keep an open mind and continue to look at all the data but its hard to fight my own experience.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Zeal for Life
I couldn't find my old post so I'm not sure what happened to it. I have back problems, panic issues and anxiety disorder since childhood. ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.