Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Another prominent vegetarian - heart attack
heretk posted:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/showbiz/obit-davy-jones/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Quote:
"He was a vegetarian, and there was not an ounce of fat on the guy," Jacobson said. "He lived on the beach in Florida and ran miles every morning. This is the last person I expected this to happen to. He couldn't have been in better shape."

DoloresTeresa responded:
Someone on another group posted about Paul McCartney's ex writing a vegetarian cook book. Lots and lots of recipes with fats and oils and cheeses.

Dolores

heretk replied to DoloresTeresa's response:
Yes I saw it, however McCartney's cook book doesn't change anything.

BTW - That "other" group is a great source of various supposedly "exceptional" stories they bring to discuss among themselves. They must be getting worried. They shouldn't - one can always change one deranged dietary belief system for another, or swap one toxic guru for another. What am I saying?! No - just ditch a guru full stop! Be free! Period!

Heretic

DoloresTeresa replied to heretk's response:
RE McCarney's cookbook. The point I was making was that if you call yourself one thing or another you have to define it so there are no misunderstandings. I never eat in vegetarian restaurants because I discovered that they use lots of oils and lots of cheese. Things which I do not consider healthful. But they are technically, vegetarian. I much prefer a steak house because they often have plain baked potatoes and great salad bars.

P.S. You're not holding me accountable for "that other group," are you?

Dolores

No no of course not.

I understand but I do not consider myself being in one camp to an exclusion of another. I do eat vegetables and fruit just like you eat meat or fish, occasionally. I straddle many worldviews, like JC (don't let us start talking about Seth...)

H.

ok, I give up. Who is this Seth that you guys always talk about and is he looking for a girlfriend?

Dolores

I don't think so, he may have given up on girlfriends.
That was a series of books by Jane Roberts and Robert Butts called "Seth Speaks", we were often refering to that Seth.

Today I committed a heresy against my Private Church of Fat by recommending to a colleague from work a kind of a diet that you are on, vegetables, fruit and fish. I will burn in hell...
Heretic

No. I eat vegetables, fruit, only a little fish, starches and beans. You recommended a low carb diet which would make everyone on the diabetes support group happy. And possibly Dr. Fuhrman. You will not burn in hell but I foresee a long stretch in purgatory.

Religion remains very mysterious. Apparently you are maintaining good health and escaping gallstones, GERD, angina and obesity by eating the part of the roast beef that I would toss out.

The Grand Inquisitor

DoloresTeresa responded:
I just read of another 21 year old female vegan who had a heart attack. The hospital eliminated her birth control as a cause. The woman had familial hypercholesterolemia. If they mentioned birth control and it was the contraceptive pill, I am not buying that it didn't have anything at all to do with the heart attack. Even for women without this problem, a side effect of the pill could be heart attack or stroke. Especially in smokers.

Dolores

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old. (5'6, 159 lbs). My interest in nutrition/living healthier started when at the age of 53 my father passed ...More

Helpful Tips

Scientific Evidence for HCG Weight Loss
The words "scientific evidence" are being thrown around a lot recently in regard to "DIETS" and while those words appear to be "Medically ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.